1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muon energy - Reasonable result?

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1

I have an assignment where a muon gets caught in a zinc atom (Z=30) at n=2. I'm supposed to calculate the energy of the photon that is emitted in the transition to n=1.

I have managed to calculate the energy of this photon, but I'm having a little trouble determining the validity of my result:

The result I got was that the emitted photon had an energy of approximately 380 MeV. Even though I expected a high energy/frequency since the mass of the muon is larger than that of an electron, I still think that this is an extremely high energy.

I don't have extremely much experience of this type of calculations, and maybe the result _is_ within reasonable limits, but I actually don't know.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question itself is very poorly written. For one thing, the 2s and 2p states have quite different energies. So, it appears that you are just expected to use the Bohr approximation for Zinc!! :eek: And it doesn't look like you are expected to account for screening in even the most simplistic way.

I get a number that is over 2 orders of magnitude smaller than yours. We'll need to see your calculation to be able to tell you what's wrong.
  4. Oct 10, 2007 #3
    Just use Bohr Theory for Z = 30 and adjust the reduced mass using the muon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?