Calculate muon speed after collision

So how does that relate to the statement that you're having trouble with the calculation?I am unsure how to find the velocity of each muon after the collision. I am trying to use the conservation of momentum equation and rearrange it to find the velocity, but I am not getting the correct answer.You're on the right track with using conservation of momentum. Just remember to use the total momentum of both muons in your calculation, since they are moving in opposite directions after the collision. Also, make sure to use the appropriate expression for relativistic momentum, which includes the gamma factor.
J_M_R

Homework Statement

Two equal energy photons collide head on and annihilate each other, producing a u+, u- pair. The two particles have equal mass, about 207 times the electron mass.

A) Calculate the maximum wavelength of the photons for this to occur.
B) If the wavelength calculated in A) is halved, what is the speed of each muon after they have moved apart (use the correct expressions for relativistic momentum and energy)

Homework Equations

E = hc/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part A) using the equation above, with the maximum wavelength occurring for the minimum energy (the rest energy of the muon pair)

lambda max = hc/((3.394x10^-11)/2) = 1.17x10^14m

I am having trouble finding the speed of each muon after they have moved apart...

lambda = 5.855x10^-15 for each photon (from A))
then each photon has E = 3.394x10^-11J

So through conservation of energy using E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m0c^2)^2

6.788x10^-11 = 2(pc + m0c^2)

p = 5.656689x10^20

using p = (mv)/(1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2) rearrange to find p^2=v^2(m^2+(p^2/c^2))

rearrange to find v^2 and input the values of p, m and c where m = 207(9.109x10^-31)

gives v = 0.709c where c is the speed of light

This answer is wrong, but I can not see where I have made a mistake in calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org
J_M_R said:

Homework Statement

Two equal energy photons collide head on and annihilate each other, producing a u+, u- pair. The two particles have equal mass, about 207 times the electron mass.

A) Calculate the maximum wavelength of the photons for this to occur.
B) If the wavelength calculated in A) is halved, what is the speed of each muon after they have moved apart (use the correct expressions for relativistic momentum and energy)

Homework Equations

E = hc/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part A) using the equation above, with the maximum wavelength occurring for the minimum energy (the rest energy of the muon pair)

lambda max = hc/((3.394x10^-11)/2) = 1.17x10^14m

I am having trouble finding the speed of each muon after they have moved apart...

lambda = 5.855x10^-15 for each photon (from A))
then each photon has E = 3.394x10^-11J

So through conservation of energy using E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m0c^2)^2

6.788x10^-11 = 2(pc + m0c^2)

p = 5.656689x10^20

using p = (mv)/(1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2) rearrange to find p^2=v^2(m^2+(p^2/c^2))

rearrange to find v^2 and input the values of p, m and c where m = 207(9.109x10^-31)

gives v = 0.709c where c is the speed of light

This answer is wrong, but I can not see where I have made a mistake in calculation.

Two things first:

You're doing "advanced physics" but you have a "high school" approach of putting complicated numbers into equations at the first opportunity. You ought to work at changing that. You should be doing a problem like this algebraically, then plugging in the numbers at the end.

You ought to learn some latex. It's difficult to read what you've written.

In terms of a solution, one of the advantages of an algebraic approach is that you can see the physics instead of a lot of numbers to 6 decimal places.

This is a good oppotunity to leave the "high school" approach behind. I'll get you started:

Let ##\lambda## be the maximum wavelength and consider two photons with wavelength ##\lambda/2##.

The total energy of the two photons is:

##E = 4hc/\lambda##

Try to first find the gamma factor of the muons. How much is the energy of each muon? How does a particle's energy and mass relate to the gamma factor?

Last edited:

Last edited:
J_M_R said:
I know the kinetic energy of a particle is related to the gamma factor by:

Ek = (ϒ-1)mc^2

If that is the relation to the kinetic energy, what is the relation to the total energy?

J_M_R said:
In this case, I find ϒ = 2

Yes, this is correct, but the argument can be made much simpler if you consider the total energy for one muon.

Orodruin said:
If that is the relation to the kinetic energy, what is the relation to the total energy?
Yes, this is correct, but the argument can be made much simpler if you consider the total energy for one muon.

Indeed it does - thanks! So the velocity calculated is the speed of each muon after the collision?

Yes.

Likes J_M_R

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a subatomic particle that is similar to an electron, but with a much larger mass. It is a fundamental particle that is found in the same family as the electron and the tau particle.

2. How is muon speed after collision calculated?

The speed of a muon after a collision can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The values for u, a, and t can be determined based on the specific conditions of the collision.

3. What factors affect the speed of a muon after collision?

The speed of a muon after collision can be affected by factors such as the initial speed of the muon, the mass of the colliding particles, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). Other factors that can affect the speed include the presence of external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields.

4. Can the speed of a muon after collision be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed possible for any particle in the universe. Therefore, the speed of a muon after collision cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How is the speed of a muon after collision measured?

The speed of a muon after collision can be measured using various methods, such as detectors that can track the trajectory of the muon and measure its velocity. Other methods include analyzing the energy levels of the particles involved in the collision and using mathematical calculations to determine the speed.