Music - I need hits from the sixties

• Music
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation revolved around favorite songs from the 1960s. The original poster shared their plans to listen to 60s music with their neighbors on Christmas and asked for recommendations from other forum members. Suggestions included songs from popular bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Donovan, and Cream, as well as lesser-known artists like The Zombies, The Foundations, and The Monkees. Some members also recommended albums and non-hit songs from the era.
Science news on Phys.org
One of my favorite Hendrix songs, later covered by Clapton and Stevie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to break out of the 60's (on the upper end) but this is one of my all-time favorites! My wife and I attended a stadium concert in Foxboro featuring Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, and Boz, and Boz killed! He got bottom billing, but he stole the show. What a monster!

BTW, I would love to be his drummer!

It's funny Turbo you mention good music peaking or as I like to call it, "ending" in the 60's. When I used to hike the Presidential mountains in New Hampshire, the young vibrant caretakers of the "Huts" agreed. Of course these folks were cut from a different cloth and not representative of all young people, but a large number of them told me that "basically, yeah, the music today sucks...". I never forgot those conversations, and thought I would share them.

Rhody...

Here's a classic folk song performed by The Brothers Four. I'm not sure of the exact year, but I think it was recorded at UCLA some time during the sixties. A very peaceful and soothing rendition.

Rock and Roll evolved and diverged. The original Rockabilly, Blues Rock and Skiffle each sounded different although with some commonality, and they were very different from Surfer music, which were different from the Acid Rock of the late 60's and 70's. There were regional differences as well.

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention (1964-1969) - Albums:
Freak Out! (1966)
Absolutely Free (1967)
We're Only in It for the Money (1968)
Cruising with Ruben & the Jets (1968)
Mothermania (compilation, 1969)
Uncle Meat (1969)
Burnt Weeny Sandwich (compilation, 1970)
Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)

A couple of other artists/groups are John Mayall (and the Bluesbreakers) and Savoy Brown.

There was a lot of crossover among bands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mayall_&_the_Bluesbreakers

Eric Clapton was an early member. He was replaced by Peter Green, who subsequently left to form Fleetwood Mac with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Bluesbreakers Albums:
John Mayall Plays John Mayall (1965, Decca) (features future Bluesbreakers members)
Blues Breakers - John Mayall - With Eric Clapton (1966, Decca)
A Hard Road (1967, Decca)
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Paul Butterfield (1967, Decca EP 45)
Crusade (1967, Decca)
Diary of a Band Volume 1 (1968, Decca)
Diary of a Band Volume 2 (1968, Decca)
Bare Wires (1968, Decca)
Looking Back (compilation, includes Bluesbreakers recordings) (1969, Decca)
Thru the Years (1969, London)
Primal Solos (1969, Decca)

Savoy Brown Albums:
Shake Down – 1967
Getting to the Point – 1968
Blue Matter – 1969 - U.S. #182
A Step Further – 1969 - U.S. #71
Raw Sienna – 1969 - U.S. #121
Looking In – 1970 - UK #50; U.S. #39
Street Corner Talking – 1971 - U.S. #75

I tended to enjoy tunes that were not necessarily pop hits. My brother and I used to listen to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on a Sunday morning. I'd often wonder why certain tunes were declared hits, because I didn't care for them. Obviously, I had a different preference to the music industry.

It's a matter of personal taste, and one simply has to listen to different genres/groups and discover one's favorites.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I tended to enjoy tunes that were not necessarily pop hits. My brother and I used to listen to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on a Sunday morning. I'd often wonder why certain tunes were declared hits, because I didn't care for them. Obviously, I had a different preference to the music industry.
Even worse was American Bandstand. The "hits" were planted, and the commentary by non-musician kids was moronic. "It's got a good beat. You can dance to it."

turbo said:
Even worse was American Bandstand. The "hits" were planted, and the commentary by non-musician kids was moronic. "It's got a good beat. You can dance to it."
I didn't care for DC or popculture.

rhody said:
It's funny Turbo you mention good music peaking or as I like to call it, "ending" in the 60's. When I used to hike the Presidential mountains in New Hampshire, the young vibrant caretakers of the "Huts" agreed. Of course these folks were cut from a different cloth and not representative of all young people, but a large number of them told me that "basically, yeah, the music today sucks...". I never forgot those conversations, and thought I would share them.

Rhody...

My father thought all the good music ended in the 50s. My grandfather thought all the good music ended in the 30s. And I had a math Prof who said that no good music has been written since 1827.

Personally, I didn't like a lot of the music from the 60s. I've never been a blues fan and never cared much for really hard rock. Over the years I have learned to appreciate songs that I didn't like at the time. For example, I always thought Janice Joplin was terrible! I like a lot of her old stuff now, but back then it didn't work for me at all. For me it was more an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Over the years I have learned to appreciate songs that I didn't like at the time. For example, I always thought Janice Joplin was terrible! I like a lot of her old stuff now, but back then it didn't work for me at all. For me it was more an acquired taste.
Sometimes you have to drop back to the source. Big Mama Thornton wrote "Ball and Chain", but as I mentioned above, "race" music never made it into the mainstream, and it was nearly impossible to find in stores.

Ivan Seeking said:
My father thought all the good music ended in the 50s. My grandfather thought all the good music ended in the 30s. And I had a math Prof who said that no good music has been written since 1827.

Personally, I didn't like a lot of the music from the 60s. I've never been a blues fan and never cared much for really hard rock. Over the years I have learned to appreciate songs that I didn't like at the time. For example, I always thought Janice Joplin was terrible! I like a lot of her old stuff now, but back then it didn't work for me at all. For me it was more an acquired taste.
Who knows, Ivan, maybe the parents of all those caretakers brainwashed them... lol. I remember that comment vividly myself by elders while I was growing up. You have to admit though, you don't hear about any "Tears for Fears" tribute bands, while Hendrix, Pink Floyd are in many countries in many languages all over the world. Hendrix still sells over 10 million in CD's, etc... every year too consistently, pretty amazing if you ask me.

Rhody...

The reggae movement really began in the 60's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_TIDBp_-0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Vhl-YRlM8

one of the first to be popular in the US (singing isn't reggae, just the music):

Apparently Johnny Nash did a performance at my elementary school back in the mid-60s. I'd moved on to junior high, and my brother told me about it. I thought he was misreferencing Johnny Cash since I had not heard of Nash. Nash grew up locally though, and he did local gigs before becoming nationally recognized.

I assume many big name artists did local gigs at high schools or junior highs before they became celebrities.

Reaching way back - The Castaways - Liar, Liar

Live -

Studio -

Outsiders - Time Won't Let Me
Live -

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth 1967

Pink Floyd - Albums:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
Ummagumma (1969)

Deep Purple - Albums:
Shades of Deep Purple (1968) - Hush -

Astronuc said:
Pink Floyd - Albums:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
Ummagumma (1969)

Don't forget they wrote and performed the scores for the motion pictures:
"More" and "The Committee"

I've actually never heard anything from The Committee, but More has a handful of good tracks on it.

The Grateful Dead formed during 1965 in the San Francisco Bay area. The band was known for its unique and eclectic style, which fused elements of rock, folk, bluegrass, blues, reggae, country, improvisational jazz, psychedelia, and space rock, and for live performances of long musical improvisation, which was a hallmark of their concerts.
(Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead)

Albums

The Grateful Dead (1967)

Anthem of the Sun (1968)

Aoxomoxoa (1969)
Clementine Jam - (my favorite GD tune)

Live/Dead (1969)

Astronuc said:
Jethro Tull Albums:
This Was (1968), Beggar's Farm -
, Serenade to a Cuckoo -
, Dharma for One -
Stand Up (1969), Bouree -
A New Day Yesterday -
Benefit (1970), Nothing is Easy -
, To Cry You a song -
, Teacher -

Jethro Tull got even better 1970-1978.

As good as he was in the 60s, have you spotted some of Ian's (aka -Tull) recent performance?
Here he is playing "Life's a Long Song"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-jddToWC68

Heh, speaking of Jethro Tull - I got Aqualung from Junior for Christmas.