1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual Inductance and wire coils

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    Hi..I am new here and I am really thankful for any help that I may get :blushing:

I am stuck in a problem of mutual inductance. It seems fairly simple, yet I cannot get the correct answer.

Two coils are close to each other. The first coil carries a time-varying current given by I(t) = (4.60 A) e-0.0250tsin(377 t). At t = 0.800 s, the voltage measured across the second coil is -3.60 V. What is the mutual inductance of the coils?

So, the equation I have used is: emf2 = -M dI1/dt ...which is the voltage of the second coil equals the mutual inductance times the current with respect to time. I solved for M, but the answer is not right.

My answer was: 80 V*s/A and I got various other answers but they are incorrect.

I really, really would appreciate any help! Thankyou so much!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it by any chance more like 472 V*s/A?.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3
    Well, I actually did get answers in the hundreds, but when I put my answer in, it tells me it has the wrong magnitude. And since they provide me with the units, it says mHz...so the answer is multiplied by 1/10^3.... and I really don't understand why. I get no answer near that.

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure it is mHz and not just mH? The units of inductance are named after Joseph Henry.

H = V·s/A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?