Mutual inductance of a long wire and a triangular loop?

In summary, the mutual inductance between a long straight wire and a conducting loop shaped like an isosceles triangle is M = \frac{N_1\phi _1}{I_2} = \frac{N_2\phi _2}{I_1} where B is the magnetic flux density through the loop and A the area of the loop.
TheSodesa

I originally posted this to the advanced homework -section, but maybe this isn't advanced enough to warrant being posted there :oops:. If a mod sees this, feel free to delete the original on the other forum. I'd do it myself, but I can't. 1. Homework Statement
Calculate the mutual inductance for the long, straight conductor and a conducting loop shaped like an isosceles triangle in the picture below, when a = 10cm.
H11_5.JPG

Homework Equations

Mutual inductance: [itex]M = \frac{N_1\phi _1}{I_2} = \frac{N_2\phi _2}{I_1}[/itex]

Magnetic flux: [itex]\phi = BA[/itex], where B is the magnetic flux density through a loop and A the area of the loop.

Magnetic flux density for a long straight wire(Ampere): [itex]B=\mu H = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi R}[/itex], where R is the orthogonal distance from the wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to calculate M, I need to find out the total flux through the triangular loop. We already know the expression for B, however dA is a bit of a mystery.

Looking at the picture, if at a distance r from the vertex of the triangle we mark:
\begin{cases}
\text{Height of top half of triangle} = y(r)\\
\text{Distance from the vertex} = r
\end{cases}
Then by similarity:
[tex]
\frac{1/2 a}{a} = \frac{y(r)}{r} \iff y(r) = \frac{r}{2}
[/tex]
and if we slice the triangle into small slices with height 2y and width dr:
[tex]
dA=2ydr = r dr
[/tex]
Now [tex]d\phi = d(B(r)A(r)) = B(r)dA(r)[/tex]

Therefore
\begin{array}{ll}
d\phi
&= \frac{\mu I r dr}{2 \pi (a+r)}\\
&= \frac{\mu I r dr}{2r \pi (\frac{a}{r}+1)}\\
&= \frac{\mu I dr}{2 \pi (\frac{a}{r}+1)}\\
&= \frac{\mu I dr}{2 \pi (\frac{a}{r}+1)}\\
&= \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi }\frac{dr}{(\frac{a}{r}+1)}
\end{array}
Looking at this it doesn't seem to be possible to integrate this expression with respect to r from 0 to a. My guess is my derivation of dA is wrong. Any help on that front?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's try this again:

[tex]d\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi }\frac{dr}{(\frac{a}{r}+1)}[/tex]

Then
[tex]
\phi = \int_{0}^{a}\frac{\mu I}{2 \pi }\frac{dr}{(\frac{a}{r}+1)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi } \int_{0}^{a}\frac{dr}{(\frac{a}{r}+1)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi } \int_{0}^{a}\frac{r}{(a+r)}dr
[/tex]
Now let's do long division on our rational expression (off screen, 'cause duck doing that in LaTeX):
[tex]
\frac{r}{(a+r)} = 1 + \frac{-a}{r+a} = 1 - \frac{a}{r+a}
[/tex]
This looks like something we can work with, so let's replace the integrand with our quotient:
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi } \int_{0}^{a}\frac{r}{(a+r)}dr
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi } \int_{0}^{a}1-\frac{a}{r+a}dr
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi } [r-a \ ln(r+a)]_{0}^{a}
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi } (a-a \ ln(2a) - 0 + a \ ln(a))
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu aI}{2 \pi } (1-ln(2a) - 0 + ln(a))
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = \frac{\mu aI}{2 \pi } (1+ln(\frac{a}{2a}))
[/tex]
Then by substituting this for ##\phi \ in \ M##:
[tex]
M = \frac{\phi}{I} = \frac{\frac{\mu aI}{2 \pi } (1+ln(\frac{1}{2}))}{I}
[/tex]
[tex]
M = \frac{\mu a}{2 \pi } (1+ln(\frac{1}{2}))
[/tex]
and by plugging in ##a = 10cm## and ##\mu = 4\pi*10^{-7}NA^{-2}## :
[tex]
M = \frac{(4\pi*10^{-7}NA^{-2})(10cm)}{2 \pi } (1+ln(\frac{1}{2})) = 6.13706... × 10^-9 \frac{Nm}{A^2}
[/tex]
[tex]
M \approx 6.1 nH
[/tex]
Booyah!

Likes Delta2 and Teja_Tadepalli
What would happen if the base of the triangle given would be 20cm and not 10 cm?

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the amount of inductive coupling between two electrical circuits. It describes the ability of one circuit to induce an electromotive force (EMF) in the other circuit.

2. How does mutual inductance between a wire and a loop work?

In the case of a long wire and a triangular loop, the changing magnetic field created by the current in the wire induces an EMF in the loop. This EMF then causes a current to flow in the loop, creating its own magnetic field. The interaction between these two magnetic fields results in mutual inductance.

3. What factors affect the mutual inductance between a wire and a loop?

The mutual inductance between a wire and a loop depends on the distance between them, the orientation of the loop with respect to the wire, and the geometry of the loop (such as its shape and size). It also depends on the permeability of the materials in the wire and the loop, as well as the frequency of the current in the wire.

4. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = k * μ * N1 * N2 * A / L, where k is a constant that depends on the geometry and relative positions of the wire and loop, μ is the permeability of the medium between them, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the wire and loop respectively, A is the area of the loop, and L is the length of the wire.

5. What are some applications of mutual inductance between a wire and a loop?

Mutual inductance has a variety of applications, including in transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in wireless power transfer systems and inductive charging for electronic devices. In addition, mutual inductance plays a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic circuits and devices.