Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Mutual information between two time series.

1. May 1, 2016 #1
    So I am studying chaotic dynamical systems and I need to find mutual information between two chaotic time series say x(t) and y(t). Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure what you mean by "mutual information". Since they are both chaotic, I assume that you are looking for their cross correlation. The cross correlation is a series of numbers, ci, i=0, ±1, ±2, ±3, ...., that are the correlations between xj and yj+i. If there is a linear combination of cross correlations that is statistically significant, then the two series are probably related in some way. There are software statistical packages that you can use to obtain the cross correlations.

4. May 1, 2016 #3

Actually finding correlation would only help us find any linear correlations but chaotic time series means non-linear correlations as well. For that we need to calculate the mutual information.

5. May 1, 2016 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry. It sounds like you are really talking about information theory of chaotic systems. I have no knowledge on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted