M 6.4 Quake in Croatia Causes Damage

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, a 6.4 magnitude earthquake occurred in Petrinja, Croatia on December 29, 2020 at 11:19:54 UTC. The Moment Tensor fault plane solution showed a strike-slip rupture mechanism, causing significant damage to the old brick/stone buildings common in European construction. The earthquake was shallow and widespread, damaging roads and potentially bridges. It's a reminder of the unpredictable power of natural disasters and the importance of staying safe.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Woke up this morning to find this quake on the seismograph had occurred over night ( my time)M 6.4 - 3 km WSW of Petrinja, Croatia
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000d3zh/dyfi
Time: 2020-12-29 11:19:54 (UTC)
Depth: 10.0 km

The Moment Tensor fault plane solution shows a strike-slip rupture mechanism

201229  UT Mw6.4 Croatia zhi.jpg
Appears to have been significant damage to the old brick/stone buildings that are typical of the old style building construction found across Europe

• Informative
Likes BillTre, Klystron and berkeman
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
davenn said:
Appears to have been significant damage to the old brick/stone buildings that are typical of the old style building construction found across Europe
I heard about during my late morning. Rather shallow and 6.4 mag is going to do serious damage to older brick/stone buildings. Apparently, damage was widespread and included roads, and I imagine some bridges.

• Sad
Likes davenn

Wow, that's really concerning. I hope everyone in the affected area is safe and that the damage isn't too severe. It's always scary to see natural disasters like this happen, especially when it's in a place that's not typically known for earthquakes. It's a reminder of how unpredictable and powerful Mother Nature can be. Stay safe out there, everyone.

1. What caused the M 6.4 quake in Croatia?

The M 6.4 quake in Croatia was caused by tectonic plate movement. The region where the quake occurred is known for its high seismic activity due to the collision of the Eurasian and African plates.

2. How much damage was caused by the quake?

The full extent of the damage caused by the M 6.4 quake in Croatia is still being assessed. However, reports indicate that numerous buildings and infrastructure have been damaged, including homes, schools, and roads.

3. Were there any casualties from the quake?

Unfortunately, there have been several casualties reported from the M 6.4 quake in Croatia. As of now, at least seven people have been confirmed dead and more than 20 others injured.

4. Is this quake considered to be a major event?

Yes, the M 6.4 quake in Croatia is considered to be a major event due to its magnitude and the damage it has caused. It is one of the strongest quakes to hit the region in recent years.

5. Are aftershocks expected following the M 6.4 quake?

Yes, aftershocks are expected following the M 6.4 quake in Croatia. These are smaller earthquakes that occur after a larger one and can continue for weeks or even months. It is important for people in the affected area to remain cautious and prepared for potential aftershocks.