MWI experience of created worlds

In summary, the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) states that in a binary measurement, the world splits into two branches, A and B. It is difficult to define the "you" and "experience" in this scenario, as there will be a copy of "you" in each branch, but it is unclear if they are the same "you" experiencing both branches. This raises the question of whether our sense of self is an illusion, generated by the brain. It is also compared to biological twins, where both copies are considered "me" from their own perspective. However, in MWI, only one copy is engaging in a particular discussion, so only that copy can truly be referred to as "you".
entropy1
Would this be correct: in MWI, if a binary measurement is made, the world splits, say in world A and B. Is it then correct to say that you experience both A and B, but that the experiences of A and B become separated?

Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
Is it then correct to say that you experience both A and B, but that the experiences of A and B become separated?

There is no good way to describe what the MWI says happens to your experience using ordinary language. The problem is that words like "you" and "experience" can't possibly mean in the MWI what they mean in ordinary conversation. In the case you describe, there will be a "you" that experiences A and a "you" that experiences B, and both of these "yous" will be "descended", physically, from "you" before the measurement. But are they "the same" you, having both experiences? There is no good answer, because the underlying assumptions behind our ordinary concept of "the same" are not valid for this case.

Likes Avodyne and entropy1
PeterDonis said:
There is no good way to describe what the MWI says happens to your experience using ordinary language. The problem is that words like "you" and "experience" can't possibly mean in the MWI what they mean in ordinary conversation. In the case you describe, there will be a "you" that experiences A and a "you" that experiences B, and both of these "yous" will be "descended", physically, from "you" before the measurement. But are they "the same" you, having both experiences? There is no good answer, because the underlying assumptions behind our ordinary concept of "the same" are not valid for this case.
If there is a "me" in the ordinary sense, and there is, there must be a "me" in any world, right? Perhaps just not "the same" ones. So indeed the question arises if it is still "me" when brached off; is that what you mean?

The alternative is that "me" is an illusion altogether, perhaps generated by the brain.

If I adopt MWI, I would be happy to adopt that the "me" I know already branched many times in my life. Still I am "me" and I see no reason to believe my branched-off versions are not too.

I wonder if I am still abiding by the forum rules with this post :oldbiggrin: .

entropy1 said:
the question arises if it is still "me" when brached off; is that what you mean?

That's part of it, yes. Each "copy" of you in different branches has a different set of experiences and memories. So if "you" are defined by a particular set of experiences and memories, then the copies can't possibly all be "you". Different people have different opinions on this, and there is no way to resolve the question by experiment because it's not a question of physics, it's a question of definitions.

entropy1 said:
The alternative is that "me" is an illusion altogether, perhaps generated by the brain.

This isn't an alternative; it's a different way of describing the same physics. As far as the physics is concerned, the brain is the physical system involved.

entropy1 said:
Would this be correct: in MWI, if a binary measurement is made, the world splits, say in world A and B. Is it then correct to say that you experience both A and B, but that the experiences of A and B become separated?
I like to think of it as being analog to biological twins. The other copy is not you.

Demystifier said:
I like to think of it as being analog to biological twins. The other copy is not you.
The problem I see with that is, to be consistent, the copy you are now is not you too.

entropy1 said:
The problem I see with that is, to be consistent, the copy you are now is not you too.
Why not?

Demystifier said:
Why not?
Because the math handles all copies equivalently, I suspect.

entropy1 said:
Because the math handles all copies equivalently, I suspect.
So? How that differs from biological twins?

Demystifier said:
So? How that differs from biological twins?
Good point.

So I now think of this, given a "biological" world-twin: they are both "me" (from their own vantage point) and they are both 'biological' twin of the other one(s) (from the other one's viewpoint). This seems satisfying to me, for this seems to hold for all copies.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
entropy1 said:
to be consistent, the copy you are now is not you too

Yes, it is, because the word "you" (or "me" when you are speaking of yourself) refers to whichever copy is engaging in this discussion, and only one copy is doing that. That's one of the things about ordinary language that makes it unsuitable for describing these kinds of situations: pronouns like "me" and "you" are indexical--which entity they refer to depends on who is using them and in what context.

1. What is the MWI experience of created worlds?

The MWI (Many-Worlds Interpretation) experience of created worlds is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes. According to this theory, every time a quantum measurement is made, the universe splits into multiple branches, each representing a different outcome. This means that there are countless versions of our reality, each with slight variations.

2. How does the MWI experience of created worlds differ from other interpretations?

The MWI experience of created worlds differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it does not involve the collapse of the wave function. In the MWI, all possible outcomes of a quantum measurement exist simultaneously in different parallel universes, while in the Copenhagen interpretation, only one outcome is considered to be real.

3. Is there any evidence for the MWI experience of created worlds?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of parallel universes or the MWI experience of created worlds. However, the theory is mathematically consistent and has been supported by some experiments, such as the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment. Further research and experimentation are needed to provide stronger evidence for the MWI.

4. What are the implications of the MWI experience of created worlds?

If the MWI experience of created worlds is true, it would mean that every possible outcome of a quantum measurement exists in a parallel universe. This has profound implications for the concept of free will and the nature of reality. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and communication.

5. Can we ever prove or disprove the MWI experience of created worlds?

It is currently impossible to prove or disprove the existence of parallel universes and the MWI experience of created worlds. However, as technology and scientific understanding continue to advance, it may be possible to gather more evidence and potentially test the theory in the future. Until then, the MWI remains a fascinating and controversial topic in the field of quantum mechanics.