1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My chance of getting into grad school?

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Hi.
    Im a undergrad senior currently and am going to apply for grad school right after i take my GRE. Im wonder what my chances are of getting in.

Im applying for the same university where im going to be graduating from ( stony brook ). [[ for a Masters, M.A., not a Ph.D ]]

My major is MAT, pure math.
    GPA / Major GPA are aboth 3.2 ish.
    No research experience.
    Upper division GPA is also around 3.2 ish.
    3 Letters of recommendation with 2 average and 1 above average.
    GRE quantatative expected to be 100 percentile.
    As I asked, admission is not competitve.

Upper division courses taken.
    analysis in several dimensions, abstract algebra, dynamics and chaos, differential toplogy, complex analysis, applied analysis, geometric structures, and off course linear algebra and 1 dimensional analysis

And the part where i screwd up and worry about the most, is that my GPA has been on a steady decline with most recent semester having c+ c+ b+ for 3 of my major courses

Thank you so much for helping.
    Happy new year!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What did they say when you asked them?

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3
    You really should have taken the phys GRE if you wanted to get into Stony Brook. Infortunately most schools don't like to take their undergrads for grad school (it happens, but you have to be stronger than their average candidate). If you really have your heart set on SB, then you should start building a relationship with a professor that you're willing to do grad school research with... that's your best shot.

That said, you should be able to get in somewhere else... I will refrain from giving the "it's not about getting in somewhere, only go if you are going to somewhere you are excited to be" talk, but keep that in mind.

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4
    Hey,

i thought the acceptance rate will be alot higher if the grad school im applying for and where i am graduating as an undergrad are the same institution.

For one, the professors who write me recommendation letters also teach grad courses.

Why is the acceptance rate lower and not higher?

6. Dec 29, 2011 #5
    I think he wants to go for math not physics . . .

7. Dec 29, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

8. Dec 29, 2011 #7
    Sorry, forgot to mention that im only aiming at M.A and definately not Ph.D right now

9. Dec 29, 2011 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

10. Dec 29, 2011 #9
    Sorry vana, i didnt really asked them directly how qualified i am for their program, didnt think its the type of question they would answer. They would probably just say that its not great but still a chance.

BTW its MA program

11. Dec 29, 2011 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK, so why do you think that we will have some better insight than your faculty?

12. Dec 29, 2011 #11
    Hmmmm i dont, im just wondering about something and hoping for an answer since many here i believe have deep experience in this respect.

I probably have offended you some how, you know what, sorry i bothered you and never mind about me.

13. Dec 29, 2011 #12

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think Vanadium is trying to be offensive. I think he or she is trying to point out that the people most qualified to answer your question are the faculty (advisor, associate chair, admissions committee members, etc.) at the school you're applying to.

The best anyone here can do is to evaluate what you've posted in relation to their own experiences in applying to or perhaps in some cases serving on admissions committees for graduate schools that likely aren't the school you're specifically interested in.

Generally when I hear "not competative" with respect to admission, I interpret it to mean that there is a minimum admission criteria and the people who meet it are generally accepted. If that's the case, the admission criteria are likely published - check the school's website.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook