My chance of getting into grad school?

In summary, Vanadium believes that you should have taken the phys GRE if you wanted to get into Stony Brook. The admission criteria are likely published, so if you meet the minimum requirements you have a good chance of being accepted.
zpei
Hi.
Im a undergrad senior currently and am going to apply for grad school right after i take my GRE. I am wonder what my chances are of getting in.

Im applying for the same university where I am going to be graduating from ( stony brook ). [[ for a Masters, M.A., not a Ph.D ]]

My major is MAT, pure math.
GPA / Major GPA are aboth 3.2 ish.
No research experience.
Upper division GPA is also around 3.2 ish.
3 Letters of recommendation with 2 average and 1 above average.
GRE quantatative expected to be 100 percentile.
As I asked, admission is not competitve.

Upper division courses taken.
analysis in several dimensions, abstract algebra, dynamics and chaos, differential toplogy, complex analysis, applied analysis, geometric structures, and off course linear algebra and 1 dimensional analysis

And the part where i screwd up and worry about the most, is that my GPA has been on a steady decline with most recent semester having c+ c+ b+ for 3 of my major courses

Thank you so much for helping.
Happy new year!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zpei said:
Im applying for the same university where I am going to be graduating from

What did they say when you asked them?

Last edited:
You really should have taken the phys GRE if you wanted to get into Stony Brook. Infortunately most schools don't like to take their undergrads for grad school (it happens, but you have to be stronger than their average candidate). If you really have your heart set on SB, then you should start building a relationship with a professor that you're willing to do grad school research with... that's your best shot.

That said, you should be able to get in somewhere else... I will refrain from giving the "it's not about getting in somewhere, only go if you are going to somewhere you are excited to be" talk, but keep that in mind.

Hey,

i thought the acceptance rate will be a lot higher if the grad school I am applying for and where i am graduating as an undergrad are the same institution.

For one, the professors who write me recommendation letters also teach grad courses.

Why is the acceptance rate lower and not higher?

B-80 said:
You really should have taken the phys GRE if you wanted to get into Stony Brook.

I think he wants to go for math not physics . . .

zpei said:

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to mention that I am only aiming at M.A and definitely not Ph.D right now

zpei said:

Vanadium 50 said:

Sorry vana, i didnt really asked them directly how qualified i am for their program, didnt think its the type of question they would answer. They would probably just say that its not great but still a chance.

BTW its MA program

OK, so why do you think that we will have some better insight than your faculty?

Hmmmm i dont, I am just wondering about something and hoping for an answer since many here i believe have deep experience in this respect.

I probably have offended you some how, you know what, sorry i bothered you and never mind about me.

I don't think Vanadium is trying to be offensive. I think he or she is trying to point out that the people most qualified to answer your question are the faculty (advisor, associate chair, admissions committee members, etc.) at the school you're applying to.

The best anyone here can do is to evaluate what you've posted in relation to their own experiences in applying to or perhaps in some cases serving on admissions committees for graduate schools that likely aren't the school you're specifically interested in.

Generally when I hear "not competative" with respect to admission, I interpret it to mean that there is a minimum admission criteria and the people who meet it are generally accepted. If that's the case, the admission criteria are likely published - check the school's website.

1. What are the most important factors in determining my chances of getting into grad school?

The most important factors in determining your chances of getting into grad school include your undergraduate GPA, your performance on standardized tests (such as the GRE), letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement.

2. How much does the reputation of the school I am applying to affect my chances?

The reputation of the school you are applying to can have a significant impact on your chances of getting into grad school. Admissions committees often give preference to applicants from reputable institutions, as they have a track record of producing successful students.

3. Is having a strong academic background enough to guarantee my acceptance into grad school?

While a strong academic background is an important factor, it is not the only factor that determines your chances of getting into grad school. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, extracurricular activities, and personal qualities.

4. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial component of the grad school application process. They provide insight into your academic abilities, character, and potential for success in graduate studies. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your abilities and potential.

5. Can I improve my chances of getting into grad school if my undergraduate GPA is not very high?

Yes, there are ways to improve your chances of getting into grad school even if your undergraduate GPA is not very high. You can focus on strengthening other aspects of your application, such as performing well on standardized tests, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. You can also consider applying to a wider range of schools to increase your chances of acceptance.