My chances of transferring into caltech

In summary, the high school GPA and SAT score are low because the student immigrated from a different country to the US in their sophomore year. The college GPA is 3.9 and the student has been in internships and clubs. The work experience is math tutor at the student's college for three years. The extracurriculars are traditional Japanese fan dancing for four years and ongoing. The goals for the student are to major in chemical or biological engineering and get involved in the medical field. The high school and college transcripts should be sent to the Caltech admissions office.
tamakee
Hi, I wanted to know what were my chances of getting into caltech as a transfer student.

High school GPA: 3.5
SAT 1600 (math 700)
AP Bio: 4
College GPA: 3.9
Dean's list from 2012

Internships: I been in 3 internship programs within my cc. Each being a semester long. They were chem,chem,micro concentrated projects.

Clubs:
Honor society (Phi theta kappa)
Art club
HOSA
PPHC as vice president for 2 years (club for students with career interest in the medical field)

Extracurricular:
Traditional Japanese fan dancing for 4 years and ongoing.

Work experience:
Math tutor at my cc for 3 years

My high school GPA and SAT is low because I immigrated from a different country to the US in my sophomore year. Langauge barrier was the main reason for the low numbers.

In college I studied 1 years general chem, 2 year physics, 2 year calculus, 1 year A&P, 1 semester micro. I took most of the core science classes what my cc can offer.

Because of the limited sources, I made a club, PPHC, with my peers to help ourselves and our cc students who are interested in going into the medical field. We try to be active by volunteering in health/medical related community events and host workshops within the college.

Currently I have my associates in liberal arts and finishing up one for natural sciences. I am in a position where I must transfer to progress further.

I wish to major in chemical or biological engineering and get involved in the medical field.I'd like to know what my chances are and what I should work on more to get in.
Thank you for taking your time reading this and I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should contact somebody at Caltech admissions to find out. Google up their web site. Find out which particular part of the school has the program you are most interested in. Ask them what their admission requirements are.

Anybody who isn't actually working for Caltech admissions is probably going to give you no better than a guess.

I would say that at this point you are ready to enter Caltech as a freshman. Your physics and math courses at your CC would be considered good prep but not a replacement for the Caltech first two years. Take a look at their first two years of required courses to get an idea what they would expect of a transfer student. They tell you a little http://www.admissions.caltech.edu/content/how-apply-transfer-student, and if you follow the link to the transfer exams they tell you a bit more about some books to look at to prepare for physics and math. Beware! They teach math and science at a much more serious level than you are probably used to at a CC.

Of course I'm just giving my best guess here, from some experience with Caltech as an undergrad (long ago) and looking at it for my kid (more recently). You'll do best to talk to admissions there. Please post here to let us know what they say.

Caltech has a distinguished transfer process, which requires you to take their own math/physics admission tests. The tests are notorious for their low pass rate (forgot the numbers, but it was around like 5% I think. You can check for yourself on the website). I don't know what would prepare you for them, but you should definitely check the website out.

Well, you seem like a reasonably high-caliber student. But just keep in mind, it's CalTech, and they accept something like 5 transfers a year so don't beat yourself up if you don't get in. Pick a few safety schools like Stanford or UC Berkeley.

And yes, if you're the sort of student who is seriously gunning for CalTech, those are absolutely safeties.

jack476 said:
But just keep in mind, it's CalTech...

No. It's Caltech. :)

1. What are the typical requirements for transferring into Caltech?

To transfer into Caltech, applicants must have completed at least one year of college coursework at an accredited institution, have a strong academic record, and have completed coursework in math, physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. How competitive is the transfer process at Caltech?

The transfer process at Caltech is highly competitive. Each year, Caltech receives a large number of applications from highly qualified students, and only a small percentage are accepted.

3. Can I transfer into any major at Caltech?

Caltech offers transfer admission for most majors, but some programs, such as the joint program with Occidental College, have limited availability for transfer students.

4. Is there a specific GPA requirement for transferring into Caltech?

While there is no specific GPA requirement for transferring into Caltech, most admitted transfer students have a GPA of 3.5 or higher. However, other factors such as coursework, recommendations, and extracurricular activities are also taken into consideration.

5. Are there any additional materials required for transfer applicants?

In addition to the standard application materials, transfer applicants are required to submit college transcripts, a college report form, and a transfer mid-term report. Some majors may also require supplemental materials, such as a portfolio or audition for arts programs.