My college won't count a course for my GPA

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Rono
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, I have a question. I recently did an English test and passed it, and because that exam, I'm exempted from taking the English course (which is compulsory for the degree), but I passed it with a B and I'm worried that it would count in my GPA. My college says it won't count on it, but it'll appear on my transcript.

Do grad admission groups put attention to these courses for counting the GPA, or they take the same GPA as my college reports?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's physics; in my country, we must take a compulsory English course, but if you prove knowledge of English, you're exempted of it. I proved it by doing an exam and they'll put in my transcript that I did the course with the grade I got in it. Still they say it won't count on my GPA, just as Calculus 1 (which I did in high school, and it appears on my transcript but isn't counting on my current GPA)
 
I wouldn't worry about it. I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that an English grade, even if it counts on your GPA, won't affect you with a physics background.
 
Suppose people agreed than an admissions committee will consider it.

Then what?
 
Jorriss said:
Suppose people agreed than an admissions committee will consider it.

Then what?

Don't know, what I say is that I feel worried it could look bad on my GPA in the case that happens.
 
Rono said:
Hey guys, I have a question. I recently did an English test and passed it, and because that exam, I'm exempted from taking the English course (which is compulsory for the degree), but I passed it with a B and I'm worried that it would count in my GPA. My college says it won't count on it, but it'll appear on my transcript.

Do grad admission groups put attention to these courses for counting the GPA, or they take the same GPA as my college reports?


If your university says the grade will not count towards the GPA, the course will be marked as such on your transcript to avoid the types of confusion you are worried about. The admissions committee is not going to go through all that trouble to recalculate your GPA solely because of one 'OK' English grade.

Also, if you plan on grad school in the US then you're TOEFL score will be the deciding factor in deciding whether or not you know enough English to study in the U.S.
 
That's a good notice :D I would not care less of that English course, it's actually pretty bad, but that would look not that good on my GPA. Of course I'll do the TOEFL when I'm finishing my undergrad. Thanks!