My college won't count a course for my GPA

In summary, if you pass an English test with a grade of B, it will not count towards your GPA. However, if you have a physics background and plan on going to graduate school in the United States, your TOEFL score will be a deciding factor in whether or not you are accepted.
Rono
Hey guys, I have a question. I recently did an English test and passed it, and because that exam, I'm exempted from taking the English course (which is compulsory for the degree), but I passed it with a B and I'm worried that it would count in my GPA. My college says it won't count on it, but it'll appear on my transcript.

Do grad admission groups put attention to these courses for counting the GPA, or they take the same GPA as my college reports?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your degree english?

No, it's physics; in my country, we must take a compulsory English course, but if you prove knowledge of English, you're exempted of it. I proved it by doing an exam and they'll put in my transcript that I did the course with the grade I got in it. Still they say it won't count on my GPA, just as Calculus 1 (which I did in high school, and it appears on my transcript but isn't counting on my current GPA)

I wouldn't worry about it. I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that an English grade, even if it counts on your GPA, won't affect you with a physics background.

Suppose people agreed than an admissions committee will consider it.

Then what?

Jorriss said:
Suppose people agreed than an admissions committee will consider it.

Then what?

Don't know, what I say is that I feel worried it could look bad on my GPA in the case that happens.

Rono said:
Hey guys, I have a question. I recently did an English test and passed it, and because that exam, I'm exempted from taking the English course (which is compulsory for the degree), but I passed it with a B and I'm worried that it would count in my GPA. My college says it won't count on it, but it'll appear on my transcript.

Do grad admission groups put attention to these courses for counting the GPA, or they take the same GPA as my college reports?

If your university says the grade will not count towards the GPA, the course will be marked as such on your transcript to avoid the types of confusion you are worried about. The admissions committee is not going to go through all that trouble to recalculate your GPA solely because of one 'OK' English grade.

Also, if you plan on grad school in the US then you're TOEFL score will be the deciding factor in deciding whether or not you know enough English to study in the U.S.

That's a good notice :D I would not care less of that English course, it's actually pretty bad, but that would look not that good on my GPA. Of course I'll do the TOEFL when I'm finishing my undergrad. Thanks!

Related to My college won't count a course for my GPA

1. Why won't my college count a course for my GPA?

There could be several reasons why a college may not count a course for your GPA. It could be because the course is not considered relevant to your major or the college's curriculum. It could also be because you did not meet the minimum grade requirement for the course.

2. Can I appeal the decision of my college not counting a course for my GPA?

Yes, you can appeal the decision. You can reach out to your academic advisor or the department head of the course to discuss your options. They may be able to review your case and make an exception.

3. Will a course that is not counted for my GPA still appear on my transcript?

Yes, the course will still appear on your transcript, but it will not be factored into your GPA. This means that it will not affect your overall GPA and will not be included in any calculations.

4. How will a course not being counted for my GPA affect my academic standing?

If the course is not counted for your GPA, it will not affect your academic standing. However, if the course is required for your major or graduation, you may need to retake it or find an alternative course to fulfill the requirement.

5. Is it common for a college to not count a course for a student's GPA?

It is not uncommon for a college to not count a course for a student's GPA. Many colleges have specific guidelines and criteria for which courses are counted towards a student's GPA. It is important to carefully review the course requirements and speak with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you take will count towards your GPA.