1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My first week in hs physics and my teacher hasn't taught a thing

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boy throws a ball upward at 2.om/s out a window 2.5m above the sidewalk. The ball accelerates at 9.81m/s^2. How fast is it moving when it hits the sidewalk?

2. Relevant equations
    i tried to use the equation: d= initial velocityxtime + .5(acceleration) (Time^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    2.5= 0 + .5(9.81)t^2
    2.5=4.9m/s^2 x t^2
    2.5/4.9= t^2
    ?????????????????

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2
    Hey there natabong :smile: Can you list for me the other important kinematic equations (or the 'DVAT' Eqs) as they will be of use here.

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    I have no idea what that means. what are kinematic equations?

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    Try googling them or better yet, look in
    your text :smile:

It doesn't matter how bad your teacher is;
    you will have the biggest impact
    on your grade. :wink:

6. Sep 24, 2009 #5
    yeah, you're definitely right. Actually, i think he was just trying to scare us. It's getting a LOT easier.. right now we're doing vectors and scalars and its a breeze. There's also this study book that i got called "High marks" it's really awesome. It breaks down everything. He told us that the above problem was too hard for high school lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook