My first week in hs physics and my teacher hasn't taught a thing

• Thread starter natabong
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A boy throws a ball upward at 2.om/s out a window 2.5m above the sidewalk. The ball accelerates at 9.81m/s^2. How fast is it moving when it hits the sidewalk?

Homework Equations

i tried to use the equation: d= initial velocityxtime + .5(acceleration) (Time^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

2.5= 0 + .5(9.81)t^2
2.5=4.9m/s^2 x t^2
2.5/4.9= t^2
?????????????????

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

A boy throws a ball upward at 2.om/s out a window 2.5m above the sidewalk. The ball accelerates at 9.81m/s^2. How fast is it moving when it hits the sidewalk?

Homework Equations

i tried to use the equation: d= initial velocityxtime + .5(acceleration) (Time^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

2.5= 0 + .5(9.81)t^2
2.5=4.9m/s^2 x t^2
2.5/4.9= t^2
?????????????????
Hey there natabong :smile: Can you list for me the other important kinematic equations (or the 'DVAT' Eqs) as they will be of use here.

I have no idea what that means. what are kinematic equations?

Try googling them or better yet, look in
your text :smile:

It doesn't matter how bad your teacher is;
you will have the biggest impact
on your grade. :wink:

yeah, you're definitely right. Actually, i think he was just trying to scare us. It's getting a LOT easier.. right now we're doing vectors and scalars and its a breeze. There's also this study book that i got called "High marks" it's really awesome. It breaks down everything. He told us that the above problem was too hard for high school lol.