1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic Question -- Car braking to avoid hitting a pedestrian

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Driving along a steady speed of 26m/s and suddenly see a child 150m from you. Breaks can produce acceleration of -2.5m/s² but it takes time to get the foot from the gas to the brake pedal. How much time do you have, if to avoid hitting the child?
    Known:
    d=150m
    a=-2.5m/s²
    Vi=26m/s
    t=?
    2. Relevant equations
    d=Vit+½at²
    3. The attempt at a solution
    150=26(t)+½(-2.5)t²
    150=26t+(-1.25)t²
    150=26t-1.25t²
    1.25t²-26t+150=0
    Quadratic formula:
    qform01.gif
    x=[26±√(-26)²-4(1.25)(150)]/2(1.25)
    x=[26±√676-750]/2.5
    x=[26±√-74]/2.5
    x=[26±8.6i]/2.5
    Here I got stuck. How can I solve it if I have an imagery number? I guess my way is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2
    i think you are trying to solve without realising the physical situation.
    try to ask - what should be car;s deceleration such that it comes to velocity zero after traversing the separation distance ? using other kinematical equation relating initial velocity , final velocity , distance and acceleration you can get info of required acceleration -compare this value with the maximum one can have -then relate the time taken ....

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is asking about your "reaction" time, that is , the time it takes for you to hit the brakes after first seeing the child. You are traveling at 26 m/s constant speed during this reaction time. You should first calculate how far you will travel to a stop after hitting the brakes , by using another kinematic equation. Then you can calc your max reaction time based on what distance you have left.

5. Mar 6, 2016 #4
    Kinda confused.. what should I solve for then? Vf?

6. Mar 6, 2016 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you should solve for the distance it takes to go from Vo (26 m/s ) to Vf (0 m/s ) when you hit the brakes.

7. Mar 6, 2016 #6
    Got 135.2, now I sub this as my distance?

8. Mar 6, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

135.2m is the distance for which your motion will be ... what? What will your motion be prior to that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted