My friend can't find her cat - I know what happened to it - It's not good

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
Rootx beat yah, but I thank you nonetheless!

I laughed out loud... HARD.
I noticed that as soon as it was posted and deleted it very quickly. But not quick enough! :rofl:

But yeah, a classic for a reason.

I wouldn't tell her, mainly because I wouldn't care enough.

I wouldn't tell her, mainly because I wouldn't care enough.
Hmmmm... did we start fires a lot as a kid? :wink:

On the OP subject, I don't know what the heck he was doing for one month when her mom was going out to find the cat. There is a right time to disclose what you know and the right time was when they were looking for the cat.

On the OP subject, I don't know what the heck he was doing for one month when her mom was going out to find the cat. There is a right time to disclose what you know and the right time was when they were looking for the cat.
:approve:

Well said.

At the time, I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know they were looking after her cat. I didn't know who's cat it was.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sometimes you have to appreciate the moment for what it is. And, sometimes, a person just can't help standing back and vicariously living out a sad moment. Telling her would have brought those moments to an end.

Even so, I would have had to tell the mom the second time I saw her standing out there.... or at least by the third time .... or fourth time ....

Sometimes you have to appreciate the moment for what it is. And, sometimes, a person just can't help standing back and vicariously living out a sad moment. Telling her would have brought those moments to an end.

Even so, I would have had to tell the mom the second time I saw her standing out there.... or at least by the third time .... or fourth time ....
But I didn't know at that time. The city worker told me it was her cat, and he actually took care of it for a few years because he was her stepfather.

A can of worms.

turbo

Gold Member
But I didn't know at that time. The city worker told me it was her cat, and he actually took care of it for a few years because he was her stepfather.

A can of worms.
OK, how many of these people have amnesia or have unknowingly consorted with siblings?

Sorry. Seems like a lot going on. Please disregard the soap-opera comparison.

C

Containment

Just tell her you heard from someone causally that they saw a cat dead that looked kinda like that one. Just make sure not to tell her who it was or that you didnt know who it was they just brought it up when you where talking about it or something. That way you can tell her the cat died without having to bring up issues.

turbo

Gold Member
Just tell her you heard from someone causally that they saw a cat dead that looked kinda like that one.
As in "the person who killed the cat?" :tongue:

A can of worms.
Nonetheless, you can leave similar impression on them. It's quite hard to tell the things the way you want to tell. I disagree with all who think simply being honest and transparent now is the best thing here.

Personally, I have sometimes found that being clear and transparent not always lead to good outcomes.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My kids are all adults, now, and they still don't know that Old Yeller died at the end of that movie. :frown:

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My kids are all adults, now, and they still don't know that Old Yeller died at the end of that movie. :frown:
How did you manage that? Distract them with ice cream and discreetly turn off the VCR?

Evo

Mentor
Just get her a new kitten. Say nothing. Make sure you can return the kitten.

I loved this idea! :!!)

(Don't forget to make a new thread in Relationships forum if you ever need to :rofl:)

This is such a huge can of worms. The city worker who disposed of the carcass had a huge fallout with her. Led to jail time, in fact.

All this over a dead cat. Part of me thinks it might be better to let it die.
wait, she was dating the guy that disposed of the cat? she'll think he killed it.

I can do that. Some things are better left unsaid anyway. Because she doesn't need to know. Leave her with happier thoughts.

Evo

Mentor
I can do that. Some things are better left unsaid anyway. Because she doesn't need to know. Leave her with happier thoughts.
She'll love the new kitten, and if for some reason she can't keep it, you can return it to be adopted.

She'll love the new kitten, and if for some reason she can't keep it, you can return it to be adopted.
please don't suggest this. he'll own the cat. kittens can be very hard to home out. our humane society here would take it, but it only keeps them for 24 hours. we had a stray dump a couple of litters on us before we managed to cage her and get her fixed. some i managed to find homes through craigslist, but the puppy warriors there make it very difficult for you. overall, it was a very unpleasant experience i don't want to repeat any time soon.

No no. Her former stepfather disposed of it.
well that makes it worse. seems like he'd have a higher responsibility to deliver the news, tho, unless there's some kind of restraining order in place.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads