Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My home town's web page is a disaster

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    I have been on a quest in recent weeks to try and save my small home town. They have hired a Public management firm to do everything for the town council One of the things the PM firm did is to provide a web page for the town named "My Waterloo Indiana."

This should not be a problem except for some small details. One of the things that shot to my attention was the town Departments on the side bar. There is a place to click " Chamber of Commerce" , the town has no chamber of commerce!! Clicking there leads to a page that appears to be Asian.

I can't get any kind of reply out of the public management firm.

Can anyone tell me where this weird looking Asian web site is coming from. Is it dangerous? It doesn't appear to affect my computer. I really need to get this straightened out. I do have a city official I can call if I can identify what is going on.

http://mywaterlooindiana.com/

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe your town's Chamber of Commerce has been outsourced. :nb)

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The web page immediately above has this HTML code about halfway down the overall code for this page, and the 3rd link below:
    Code (HTML5):

<ulclass='xoxo blogroll'>
    <li><ahref="[PLAIN]http://www.dekalbcountyedp.org">DeKalb[/PLAIN] [Broken] County Economic Development Partnership</a></li>
    <li><ahref="[PLAIN]http://www.sturtzpmg.com">Sturtz[/PLAIN] [Broken] PMG</a></li>
    <li><ahref="[PLAIN]http://www.waterlooinchamber.com">Waterloo[/PLAIN] [Broken] Chamber of Commerce</a></li> <<< this line
    <li><ahref="[PLAIN]http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WZ9L36G">Waterloo[/PLAIN] [Broken] Indiana Amtrak Passenger Survey</a></li>
    <li><ahref="[PLAIN]http://www.waterloo.lib.in.us">Waterloo-Grant[/PLAIN] [Broken] Township Public Library</a></li>
    </ul>

The link to the chamber of commerce goes to a URL that apparently is owned by a Chinese company, and is not linking to the correct site. That line needs to be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Feb 13, 2015 #4
    Thanks a million Mark44 , Sturtz is the public management company that charged the town for that web site. I'll call the city manager tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Feb 13, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It's more likely that the domain expired and Waterloo did not renew it. The Chinese company bought it up.

7. Feb 13, 2015 #6

Evo

Here is the information for the website.

Domain Name: MYWATERLOOINDIANA.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1615564848_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
    Registrar URL: www.enom.com
    Updated Date: 2014-09-11T07:53:41.00Z
    Creation Date: 2010-09-13T18:20:00.00Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-09-13T17:20:29.00Z
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Registrar IANA ID: 48
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@enom.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4252982646
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: DEWAYNE NODINE
    Registrant Organization: TOWN OF WATERLOO
    Registrant Street: 280 NORTH WAYNE STREET
    Registrant City: WATERLOO
    Registrant State/Province: IN
    Registrant Postal Code: 46793
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.2608377428
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax:
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: DAJATUMEDIA@GMAIL.COM
    Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: DEWAYNE NODINE
    Admin Organization: TOWN OF WATERLOO
    Admin Street: 280 NORTH WAYNE STREET
    Admin City: WATERLOO
    Admin State/Province: IN
    Admin Postal Code: 46793
    Admin Country: US
    Admin Phone: +1.2608377428
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax:
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: DAJATUMEDIA@GMAIL.COM
    Registry Tech ID:
    Tech Name: DEWAYNE NODINE
    Tech Organization: TOWN OF WATERLOO
    Tech Street: 280 NORTH WAYNE STREET
    Tech City: WATERLOO
    Tech State/Province: IN
    Tech Postal Code: 46793
    Tech Country: US
    Tech Phone: +1.2608377428
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax:
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: DAJATUMEDIA@GMAIL.COM
    Name Server: NS1.AKMAI.NET
    Name Server: NS2.AKMAI.NET
    DNSSEC: unSigned

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=mywaterlooindiana.com

8. Feb 13, 2015 #7
    That is probably correct Dave. They hired a private party who then hired a third party to design the web page. I have talked to several residents of the town who said the error has been that there for a long time. I can't decide if this town is worth saving. It is a typical Midwestern small town, but the more I find out the more it sounds like dumb and dumber.

They moved and restored the old train depot now Amtrak wants it back. They demolished a 110 year old double red brick historic town hall and put up a tacky metal building on the lot to house the fire station.

9. Feb 13, 2015 #8
    Evo, the line that is incorrect is; http://www.waterlooinchamber.com I can give the city manager the email address you provided so they can hopefully look a little less mentally challenged in the future. You guys are great.

10. Feb 14, 2015 #9

jtbell

More precisely, the Waterloo chamber of commerce didn't renew it. The town government and the chamber of commerce are separate entities, surely?

A Google search for "waterloo indiana chamber of commerce" doesn't seem to find a site for the c of c, whether at waterlooinchamber.com or elsewhere; only references to the c of c on other sites. So for now at least, the link to the c of c on mywaterlooindiana.com should probably be changed to point to a page on that site, that contains old-fashioned physical contact information, e.g. address and phone number of the c of c office.

11. Feb 14, 2015 #10

Mark44

Or the link should be removed. In the first post, the OP said that there is no Chamber of Commerce for that town.

12. Feb 14, 2015 #11

jtbell

Oops, I missed that! :oops:

Maybe edward should offer to start one, and a web site for it! :biggrin:

13. Feb 14, 2015 #12
    I am actually thinking about doing that jtbell. I am in Arizona and the town is in Indiana so I am trying to recruit a group of people who will do more than sit around and wait for something to happen. I joined a small existing Facebook group of residents that has now grown to over 100 members.

14. Mar 26, 2015 #13
    Just a little update on this town's situation. The town council hired a public management firm to handle most of the council's work. There is now no longer an open retail store in the historic downtown area. The link to the Asian web site is still on the town's homepage. The link actually goes to a Japanese website that translated roughly explains how to purchase a wedding or engagement ring.

The plot thickens; All town officials are now aware of the website being incorrect yet they refuse to change it. People in the group I formed are indicating to me that this is politically motivated. There is a former town council member who lives out of wedlock. He is saying that he will run again. His opponent will be the son of a local preacher who is also an IT. Could this be a stealth attack by this good Christian fellow against his opponent. It would at the least be a bragging point at his church.

Is it legal for the town's hierarchy to keep a mistake on their official web page intentionally? Is it even a mistake? Could this have been set up intentionally by an IT?

I have the local group back in my home town up to 200 people now, but I made a big mistake. I allowed existing members to invite new members. The town's official IT tech is now a member of the group.

During the last town council election of three members the preacher's son had the highest vote count with 164 votes. The council under the leadership of Mr. Christian Good fellow then started rescheduling open meetings to times when working people could not be there. The people have given up and aren't even voting apparently. I keep telling them not only to vote but to start a recall petition against the guy who turned the town over to a private management group.

I am now thinking about calling the local news media.

The dying small town scenario is nationwide, but this town has potential because it is in a strategic location with a railroad and two major highways. It even has an Amtrak station that serves 100 people per day. Those people wait in a plexiglass shelter that is open on the front! The town even refuses to provide them with a bathroom. They claim it is Amtrak's problem.

But wait a minute, in 2009 the town was given a federal grant for $1.8 million to provide a suitable depot. They refused to spend federal money and ended up losing the grant.

If any mentor wants to move or even lock this thread please feel free. I have put a lot of time into this and I am just frustrated at the lies and deceit. I also I feel like I am trying to fix stupid.

15. Mar 26, 2015 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It could make a juicy story for some news station. That would get it the attention you seek.

16. Mar 26, 2015 #15
    That is now on my agenda Dave. There is also a lot of money that is not accounted for. The media can demand to see all records, including cell phone records about changing the dates and times of open meetings, a lot easier than I can.

17. Mar 26, 2015 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Cute town. Is it possible if it's dying because they didn't put the train depot anywhere near within walking distance of the rail line? I can't even find it! :biggrin:

(I found it. It's across from the park)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  18. Mar 26, 2015 #17

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It appears that the website for the town of Waterloo, Indiana has now been fixed:

http://mywaterlooindiana.com/

A picture of what appears to an old train depot now is shown on the site's Home Page.

Another PF Miracle! :woot:

19. Mar 26, 2015 #18
    They moved the depot to a place near the town hall when Con- Rail said that they were going to tear it down. Then they tore down the double red brick historical Town hall that still had a usable dance floor in it.

The powers that be keep saying that a new depot would solve everything even though they turned down a golden opportunity. They can't have 100 people per day leaving that town thinking of it as a community that didn't even provide them a place to pee. They need to give those people a warm place to wait for the train along with donuts and coffee.

I do have some good news . The Town's internet tech told me that he joined my group because he is on my side. I know quite a few people who know him so I trust him. That is one good thing about small towns.

Thanks for the comments Dave.

20. Mar 26, 2015 #19
    The Town's website works Ok. The problem is that when someone clicks on "Chamber of Commerce" they end up on a Japanese web site. The translated Japanese website tells about how to purchase a wedding ring or engagement ring. I might have buried that info in my long rambling post about those idiots.

21. Mar 26, 2015 #20
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook