Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Proof of Structure Theorem for Finite Abelian Groups

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    Hello! If anybody has a minute, I'd appreciate a quick look-through of my proof that a finite abelian group can be decomposed into a direct product of cyclic subgroups. I'm new to formal writing (as well as Latex) and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/130897466/Structure-of-Finite-Abelian-Groups-Brian-Blake

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your Lemma 1 is not valid. Consider for example a cyclic group ##G = \langle x\rangle## with ##|G| = p^2##. The subgroup ##H = \langle x^p \rangle## has order ##p##, so ##G/H## and ##H## are both cyclic with order ##p##. But clearly ##G/H \times H## is not cyclic; it has order ##p^2## but any element has order ##1## or ##p##.

The problem is your claim that ##\phi(g_1 g_2) = (x^{k+j}H, h_1 h_2)##. This is not true in general. Let's take a concrete example with ##G## as above.

Suppose ##p = 3##, so ##G = \{e, x, x^2, \ldots x^8\}##, and ##H = \{e, x^3, x^6\}##, and ##G/H = \{H, xH, x^2 H\}##.

Take ##g_1 = x^{4} = x^1 x^3 \in x H## and ##g_2 = x^{5} = x^2 x^3 \in x^2 H##. Then ##g_1 g_2 = x^{9} = e = x^0 x^0 \in H##.

Then:
    $$\phi(g_1) = (x H, x^{3})$$
    $$\phi(g_2) = (x^2 H, x^{3})$$
    but
    $$\phi(g_1 g_2) = (H, x^{0})$$
    whereas
    $$\phi(g_1)\phi(g_2) = (x H \cdot x^2 H, x^{3}\cdot x^{3}) = (H, x^{6}) \neq \phi(g_1 g_2)$$

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. Mar 18, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I had to make a few minor edits. Please refresh if you've already read the post.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4
    Thank you very much! I guess I was thinking incorrectly that the order of x was also the order of the quotient group. Back to the drawing board!

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem, feel free to post an update when you have a revised proof. It was a good attempt - I knew the conclusion of Lemma 1 was wrong, but it took me a while to spot the problem with your proof.

Also, your writing style and Latex are good, so nothing to worry about there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook