My Proof of Structure Theorem for Finite Abelian Groups

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of decomposing a finite abelian group into a direct product of cyclic subgroups. The conversation points out an error in Lemma 1 and provides a concrete example to illustrate the mistake. The person seeking feedback is encouraged to revise their proof.
Site
Hello! If anybody has a minute, I'd appreciate a quick look-through of my proof that a finite abelian group can be decomposed into a direct product of cyclic subgroups. I'm new to formal writing (as well as Latex) and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/130897466/Structure-of-Finite-Abelian-Groups-Brian-Blake

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Lemma 1 is not valid. Consider for example a cyclic group ##G = \langle x\rangle## with ##|G| = p^2##. The subgroup ##H = \langle x^p \rangle## has order ##p##, so ##G/H## and ##H## are both cyclic with order ##p##. But clearly ##G/H \times H## is not cyclic; it has order ##p^2## but any element has order ##1## or ##p##.

The problem is your claim that ##\phi(g_1 g_2) = (x^{k+j}H, h_1 h_2)##. This is not true in general. Let's take a concrete example with ##G## as above.

Suppose ##p = 3##, so ##G = \{e, x, x^2, \ldots x^8\}##, and ##H = \{e, x^3, x^6\}##, and ##G/H = \{H, xH, x^2 H\}##.

Take ##g_1 = x^{4} = x^1 x^3 \in x H## and ##g_2 = x^{5} = x^2 x^3 \in x^2 H##. Then ##g_1 g_2 = x^{9} = e = x^0 x^0 \in H##.

Then:
$$\phi(g_1) = (x H, x^{3})$$
$$\phi(g_2) = (x^2 H, x^{3})$$
but
$$\phi(g_1 g_2) = (H, x^{0})$$
whereas
$$\phi(g_1)\phi(g_2) = (x H \cdot x^2 H, x^{3}\cdot x^{3}) = (H, x^{6}) \neq \phi(g_1 g_2)$$

Last edited:
Sorry, I had to make a few minor edits. Please refresh if you've already read the post.

Thank you very much! I guess I was thinking incorrectly that the order of x was also the order of the quotient group. Back to the drawing board!

Site said:
Thank you very much! I guess I was thinking incorrectly that the order of x was also the order of the quotient group. Back to the drawing board!
No problem, feel free to post an update when you have a revised proof. It was a good attempt - I knew the conclusion of Lemma 1 was wrong, but it took me a while to spot the problem with your proof.

Also, your writing style and Latex are good, so nothing to worry about there.

1. What is the structure theorem for finite abelian groups?

The structure theorem for finite abelian groups states that every finite abelian group can be represented as a direct product of cyclic groups of prime power order.

2. Why is the structure theorem important?

The structure theorem for finite abelian groups is important because it provides a concise and systematic way to describe the structure of these groups. It also allows for easier classification and study of these groups.

3. How is the proof of the structure theorem for finite abelian groups constructed?

The proof of the structure theorem for finite abelian groups involves using induction and the fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups. It also utilizes properties of cyclic groups and the Chinese remainder theorem.

4. Can the structure theorem be extended to non-abelian groups?

No, the structure theorem for finite abelian groups only applies to abelian groups. Non-abelian groups have a more complex structure and cannot be represented as a direct product of cyclic groups in the same way.

5. How is the structure theorem used in practical applications?

The structure theorem for finite abelian groups has various applications in fields such as cryptography, number theory, and group theory. It allows for easier identification and manipulation of group elements, which is useful in solving problems and designing algorithms.