My rough idea on a near light drive

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a weight inside a trash can to induce movement in the trash can/weight system. However, this idea is not possible as it violates the laws of physics, specifically the Conservation of Momentum in an Isolated System. The suggestion to create friction with the trash can to move the weight forward is also not feasible and has been compared to a perpetual motion machine. The conversation ends with a recommendation to do more research on the subject and a reminder that this topic is against PF guidelines.
MoistOxi
TL;DR Summary
Lets just get straight into it. Think of a big trash can with a 10 kg weight inside, Now if you were too throw the weight at one side of the trash can it would move the can, now let's think of that in space. If you had a large cylinder with a rod in the middle. On that said rod is an object that can change its mass, that object can be slid across said rod too either side, doing the same think but in micro gravity making it accelerate constantly with each pound. Now I know this is not perfect.
Please add too this idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. No motion of a weight inside your trash can will induce exterior movement in the trash can/weight system.

Think about this: how will you get your 10kg weight moving in the first place? You'll need to create friction with the trash can to move the weight forward. That will push the trash can backwards.

Likes russ_watters
MoistOxi said:
Summary:: Let's just get straight into it. Think of a big trash can with a 10 kg weight inside, Now if you were too throw the weight at one side of the trash can it would move the can, now let's think of that in space. If you had a large cylinder with a rod in the middle. On that said rod is an object that can change its mass, that object can be slid across said rod too either side, doing the same think but in micro gravity making it accelerate constantly with each pound. Now I know this is not perfect.

Please add too this idea.
Read up on the subject of Conservation of Momentum in an Isolated System and you will see where you are going wrong. It's a common misconception by folks who are new to science. :smile:

Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
Sorry. No motion of a weight inside your trash can will induce exterior movement in the trash can/weight system.

Think about this: how will you get your 10kg weight moving in the first place? You'll need to create friction with the trash can to move the weight forward. That will push the trash can backwards.
The weight would move back and forth, it would accelerate and decelerate but the acceleration forward would yield a higher speed by a small amount many times creating a slow acceleration. (If this doesn't fix it, I accept my defeat as others are more scientifically erudite.)

MoistOxi said:
(If this doesn't fix it, I accept my defeat as others are more scientifically erudite.)
No it doesn't fix it. Try doing the search I suggested, and here is the Wikipedia article to get you started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum#Conservation

This is a "reactionless drive" style device, similar to a perpetual motion machine. It isn't possible, and in addition to violating the laws of physics, it is against PF guidelines. More information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionless_drive

Thread locked.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the near light drive work?

The near light drive is a theoretical propulsion system that uses advanced technology to accelerate a spacecraft to near-light speeds. It involves manipulating the fabric of space-time to create a "bubble" around the spacecraft, allowing it to travel faster than the speed of light without violating the laws of physics.

2. What are the potential applications of a near light drive?

The near light drive could potentially revolutionize space travel by allowing us to explore distant galaxies and reach other star systems in a fraction of the time it would take with traditional propulsion systems. It could also have practical applications in long-distance space missions and space tourism.

3. Is a near light drive feasible with our current technology?

At this point, a near light drive is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible with our current technology. However, scientists and engineers are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day make a near light drive a reality.

4. What are the potential challenges or limitations of a near light drive?

One of the main challenges of a near light drive is the immense amount of energy that would be required to power it. Another challenge is the potential effects on the spacecraft and its occupants, such as time dilation and radiation exposure, when traveling at near-light speeds.

5. How could a near light drive impact our understanding of the universe?

If a near light drive were to become a reality, it could greatly expand our knowledge and understanding of the universe. By allowing us to travel to distant galaxies and explore new worlds, we could potentially discover new information about the origins of the universe and the possibility of extraterrestrial life.