My smartphone battery drains rapidly....

In summary, your phone seems to have a defect with the battery. There are ways to improve the situation, but it's not a huge issue.
HyperTechno
My Huawei Y6 2 With a 5.5" HD LCD screen has a Kirin 620 CPU with 2gb RAM and 3000 mili ampear battery. The battery percentage dropped from 80% to 50% after 2 HOURS and 18 minutes of web browsing on chrome. Is this unusual? The phone is very new, bought it last month brand new. Please help. The connection I used was 3g (hspa +), and the signal was average.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That seems pretty normal. A full charge would last about 7 hours.

The battery is fairly small at 3 amp hours.

There are ways to improve this, though.

Use a WiFi connection. The phone transmitter uses a lot of power, so turning it off should help the battery.

Turn down the screen brightness. This should help, too.

Get an app called 360 Security. This let's you turn off other apps running in the background and will be adding to the current drawn. It also cleans up junk files. And viruses.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Thank you so much for dropping my fear about a battery defect. Well I have been using 360 security. I charged the battery 100% and watched a movie for an hour and the battery dropped down to 90%. Hope it's normal right? (I was using ear buds)

That percentage is a bit of a guess, but if you can believe it, that would be about 10 hours of lifetime. Pretty good.

A phone probably wouldn't be used to watch movies very often. Used as a phone, it might last a few days.

Nice phone. What do you think of the sound and picture quality?

+1

It's about what I get.

I believe Chrome has been improved in this regard so perhaps make sure it's latest version.

Likes HyperTechno
Well, you know it's not a flagship. But for the price, I'm really impressed. The sound quality is good. Even the phone speaker is better than the rival phones of the same price. The display too is good for the price, even though I'd be pleased with fhd resolution. How ever the saturation of colors is great(for the price of the phone). The maximum brightness is a little law. I paid about $180 for the phone with 2 year warranty.

CWatters said:
+1

It's about what I get.

I believe Chrome has been improved in this regard so perhaps make sure it's latest version.
It's the latest version. How ever still it's the app that consumes the maximum percentage of battery life on my phone.

HyperTechno said:
Well, you know it's not a flagship. But for the price, I'm really impressed. The sound quality is good. Even the phone speaker is better than the rival phones of the same price. The display too is good for the price, even though I'd be pleased with fhd resolution. How ever the saturation of colors is great(for the price of the phone). The maximum brightness is a little law. I paid about $180 for the phone with 2 year warranty.
OK. Thanks
Sounds good.

Likes HyperTechno
vk6kro said:
OK. Thanks
Sounds good.
Thanks. Bye.

CWatters said:
Chrome recently got substantially worse for me. It appears that now it will run and burn battery in the background and it didn't used to do that.

russ_watters said:
Chrome recently got substantially worse for me. It appears that now it will run and burn battery in the background and it didn't used to do that.

If your phone is Android, try the 360Security app. It is free on the play store.

It has a section for cooling down the battery which goes through and turns off apps that are not being used.

Also, in Settings- storage-cached data, you can turn off all caches at once and gain a lot of spare memory sometimes.
Seems harmless and works well. (On Android 5.1 here).

If only one program is misbehaving, you can force it to stop or you can load a factory version.
russ_watters said:

Likes davenn
HyperTechno said:
My Huawei Y6 2 With a 5.5" HD LCD screen has a Kirin 620 CPU with 2gb RAM and 3000 mili ampear battery. The battery percentage dropped from 80% to 50% after 2 HOURS and 18 minutes of web browsing on chrome. Is this unusual? The phone is very new, bought it last month brand new. Please help. The connection I used was 3g (hspa +), and the signal was average.

There are very many possible causes for your problems. I think you should google your symptoms and read the advice given to others. I also think that smartphone forums will get you more specific advice than PF.

1. Why does my smartphone battery drain so quickly?

There are a variety of reasons why your smartphone battery may be draining quickly. Some common causes include having too many apps running in the background, using battery-draining features such as location services or Bluetooth, having a weak cellular signal, or having a faulty battery. It's important to identify the specific cause in order to address the issue.

2. How can I reduce my smartphone's battery usage?

One way to reduce battery usage is to limit the number of apps running in the background. You can also adjust your settings to turn off certain features when not in use, such as location services, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth. Additionally, reducing the screen brightness and using power-saving mode can also help conserve battery life.

3. Is it bad to leave my phone charging overnight?

Leaving your phone charging overnight is not necessarily bad for the battery, as most smartphones have built-in mechanisms to prevent overcharging. However, constantly keeping your phone at 100% charge can potentially degrade the battery over time. It's recommended to unplug your phone once it reaches a full charge.

4. How often should I replace my smartphone battery?

The lifespan of a smartphone battery can vary depending on usage and the type of battery. Generally, it's recommended to replace your battery after 2-3 years or if you notice a significant decrease in battery life. If your battery is easily removable, it may be more cost-effective to replace just the battery instead of purchasing a new phone.

5. Are there any tips for extending my smartphone's battery life?

Yes, there are several tips for extending your smartphone's battery life. Some include turning off unnecessary features, keeping your phone out of extreme temperatures, and avoiding fast charging, which can degrade the battery faster. It's also important to regularly update your phone's software, as updates often include improvements to battery efficiency.

Back