My transfer essay please critique

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Essay
In summary: I never stopped reading about science; I never stopped bettering myself. After receiving my GED, I enrolled in Oakton Community College and studied for engineering. Now after one and a half years and 60 credits later, the time has come for me to finally live my dream of working toward my bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. I am keen to studying this subject because I find computer related technology fascinating and from an early age I have enjoyed solving mathematical and physical problems. The courses that I have taken at Oakton Community College such as General Physics II and Introduction to Digital Systems have only acted to fuel my thirst for further knowledge. I am ready now more than ever to continue learning. I truly
SELFMADE
As a first generation immigrant I had to face many setbacks. Without immediate family to lean on, I joined the work force at an early age. For several years, I worked as a janitor: washing floors of chain stores during the third shift. The work required me not to have any day offs except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. While these years were not easy, the period distilled in me qualities that I am thankful that I possess. During these years I learned many lessons. One of which is the value of higher education. I have seen firsthand how one’s life and potential can be drained away if that person is not willing to fight to better himself. Even though with only myself as my family I never lost hope of someday of attending college. I never stopped reading about science; I never stopped bettering myself. After receiving my GED, I enrolled in Oakton Community College and studied for engineering. Now after one and half years and 60 credits later, the time has come for me to finally live my dream of working toward my bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. I am keen to studying this subject because I find computer related technology fascinating and from an early age I have enjoyed solving mathematical and physical problems. The courses that I have taken in Oakton Community College such as General Physics II and Introduction to Digital Systems have only acted to fuel my thirst for further knowledge. I am ready now more than ever to continue learning. I truly feel higher education would enable me to develop necessary skills to become a contributing citizen, especially amidst the ever changing world. Studying electrical engineering will not only allow me to investigate new technologies but it also gives me the opportunity to develop and focus on one my genuine interests. To be able to study engineering subjects and complete coursework at university, logical problem solving techniques and good time management skills are crucial. Besides going to college fulltime, also during summers, I work as a server in a busy food establishment. This position helped me to develop social skills necessary to work with people from wide range of background. And my busy schedule requires me to develop and fine tune my time management skills. Outside of school and work, I enjoy weightlifting and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. As an ethnic Mongolian, I am active member of Antioch Mongolian Church of Glenview, IL.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paragraphs

Your writing style make it seem like you are begging for acceptance, in my opinion. Write it in a way that shows objectively why they must accept you and not because you had some hard times but because you are good enough for the college.

Studying electrical engineering will not only allow me to investigate new technologies but it also gives me the opportunity to develop and focus on one my genuine interests. To be able to study engineering subjects and complete coursework at university, logical problem solving techniques and good time management skills are crucial. Besides going to college fulltime, also during summers, I work as a server in a busy food establishment. This position helped me to develop social skills necessary to work with people from wide range of background. And my busy schedule requires me to develop and fine tune my time management skills. Outside of school and work, I enjoy weightlifting and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. As an ethnic Mongolian, I am active member of Antioch Mongolian Church of Glenview, IL.

^This part is good though.

thought it was great. i think you will get accepted. only thing i would change is you might want a conclusion sentence or two which kind of summarize your intentions. like "in conclusion because of blah blah blah i feel the opportunities in your program would blah blah blah and i would blah blah blah" idk just seemed kind of weird to end it with what church you go to

You definitely need to split this into paragraphs, and I have fixed a few grammatical errors below.

As a first generation immigrant I have had to face many setbacks. Without an immediate family to lean on, I joined the work force at an early age. For several years, I worked as a janitor, washing floors of chain stores during the third shift. The work required me to not have any days off except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. While these years were not easy, the period instilled in me qualities that I am thankful to possess. During these years I learned many lessons, one of which is the value of higher education. I have seen firsthand how one’s life and potential can be drained away if that person is not willing to fight to better himself. Even with only myself as my family I never lost hope of someday attending college. I never stopped reading about science; I never stopped bettering myself. After receiving my GED, I enrolled in Oakton Community College and studied engineering. Now, one and half years and 60 credits later, the time has come for me to finally live my dream of working toward my bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. I am keen on studying this subject because I find computer-related technology fascinating and from an early age I have enjoyed solving mathematical and physical problems. The courses that I have taken at Oakton Community College such as General Physics II and Introduction to Digital Systems have only acted to fuel my thirst for further knowledge. I am ready now more than ever to continue learning. I truly feel higher education would enable me to develop necessary skills to become a contributing citizen, especially amidst the ever-changing world. Studying electrical engineering will not only allow me to investigate new technologies, but it will also give me the opportunity to develop and focus on one of my genuine interests. To be able to study engineering subjects and complete coursework at the university level, logical problem-solving techniques and good time management skills are crucial. Besides going to college full-time, during summers I also work as a server in a busy food establishment. This position has helped me to develop the social skills necessary to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds. Furthermore, my busy schedule has required me to develop time management skills. Outside of school and work, I enjoy weightlifting and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. As an ethnic Mongolian, I am an active member of the Antioch Mongolian Church of Glenview, IL.

1. What should I include in my transfer essay?

In your transfer essay, you should highlight your reasons for wanting to transfer to a new institution, your academic and extracurricular achievements, and how the new school will help you achieve your goals. It is also important to address any potential red flags such as a low GPA or previous academic challenges.

2. How long should my transfer essay be?

Typically, transfer essays are around 500-750 words. It is important to be concise and focus on the most relevant information to make a strong case for your transfer.

3. Can I reuse my personal statement from my original application?

It is not recommended to reuse your personal statement from your original application as it may not address the specific reasons for your transfer. It is important to tailor your essay to the new institution and explain why it is a better fit for you.

4. Should I mention any negative experiences at my current institution?

While it is important to be honest in your transfer essay, it is not necessary to dwell on negative experiences. Instead, focus on the positive aspects of the new institution and how it will benefit you. If there are any significant challenges you have faced, address them in a constructive way and explain how you have grown from them.

5. How important is the transfer essay in the admissions process?

The transfer essay is an important component of the admissions process as it allows the admissions committee to gain a deeper understanding of your motivations, goals, and fit for the new institution. It is your opportunity to showcase your unique qualities and make a strong case for your transfer.