Calculating relativistic mass of neutrons, wrote out my plan please critique

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the relativistic energy and mass of neutrons in a given equation. The equation is (239/94)Pu-->(110/53)Fe+(125/41)Nb+4neutrons, and the question asks for the relativistic energy and mass of the neutrons. The method described involves using the equation Q=m(left)-m(right)c^2, where m(left) is equal to the mass of Pu and m(right) is equal to the combined mass of Fe, Nb, and 4 neutrons. To find the relativistic mass of the neutrons, the equation E=mc^2 is used, and the total energy (Q) is divided by 4
ronpaulkid

Homework Statement

I am given an equation, say (239/94)Pu-->(110/53)Fe+(125/41)Nb+4neutrons

I am asked to calculate the relativistic energy so I do that. Q=m(left)-m(right)c^2

I know that m(left)=m(Pu)

I know that m(right)=m(110Fe)+m(125Nb)+4m(neutron)
(i put the answer into MeV for convenience)

so I have Q now. I am now asked to find the mass of the neutrons.
I can't use m=mo/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) because I am not given the velocity. I have to use E=KE+moc^2

KE=Q/4 (4 neutrons, each gets a quarter of the energy)
mo(rest mass)=4m(neutron) maybe 4(1.008665u)? I am unsure if I use the rest mass of just 1 neutron or 4 neutrons.

so I have Q solved from above. I now solve for m=[(Q/4)+mo(c^2)]/(c^2)

Is this the correct way to find the relativistic mass of the neutrons? My professor said divide Q by 4 because each gets a quarter of the energy. I don't know what to do then with the rest mass. And I don't know if I should multiply the rest mass by 4 to find the total rest mass of the 4 neutrons.

Relevant equations and attempt are above^^
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q is not the kinetic energy; it's the total energy. The relationship between total energy and relativistic mass is just E=mc^2--which is partially why relativistic mass is sometimes a useful concept--so you just have to divide Q/4 by c^2 to get the answer.

1. How is the relativistic mass of a neutron calculated?

The relativistic mass of a neutron can be calculated using the formula m = m0 / sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass of the neutron, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of calculating the relativistic mass of a neutron?

The relativistic mass of a neutron is important in understanding its behavior in high-energy situations, such as in nuclear reactions or particle accelerators. It also helps to explain the effects of special relativity on the mass of a moving object.

3. How does the relativistic mass of a neutron differ from its rest mass?

The rest mass of a neutron is its mass at rest, while the relativistic mass takes into account its velocity and the effects of special relativity. This means that the relativistic mass of a neutron will increase as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

4. Can the relativistic mass of a neutron be negative?

No, the relativistic mass of a neutron cannot be negative. This is because the square root in the formula for calculating relativistic mass will always result in a positive value.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the relativistic mass of a neutron?

Yes, the relativistic mass of a neutron can also be affected by external forces such as gravitational fields or electromagnetic fields. These forces can alter the velocity of the neutron and therefore impact its relativistic mass.