My wife and I hear frogs outside every night, and every few minutes or

1. Dembadon

Dembadon 662
    Gold Member

My wife and I hear frogs outside every night, and every few minutes or so, they'll all stop croaking for reasons I have yet to identify. Last night I kept listening for a noise, time-interval, anything that would trigger their silence; I couldn't identify a pattern. The only pattern I noticed is that they all stop at once. I never heard a rogue frog croaking on its own after the halt of a croaking session, however, I did notice that a single frog only needed to croak 2-3 times before the whole group started-up again.

Does anyone know why they all stop at once, and why I never hear any of them croaking alone? Is there an "alpha frog" who decides when the croaking stops?

2. jcsd
  3. Pythagorean

Pythagorean 4,609
    Gold Member

Re: Croaking

something I found, don't know for sure though:

http://www.vermontnaturenews.org/amphibians.htm

4. Re: Croaking

They croak like this ..OMFGSNAKE!!!!!

5. rhody

rhody 765
    Gold Member

This may apply to larger organisms than bacteria, in the wiki link, honey bees are referred to, scroll down to find them. Also, I posted this awhile ago, a TED Video, Bonnie Bassler on Quorum Sensing. I suspect there are multiple triggers that cause the frogs to go silent, with predators at the top of the list, but there may be others that are lower on the sensing end of a frogs anatomy not clearly understood. The opposite can be true as well, at a certain threshold for instance coordinated response can be observed as in the case of the bacteria in the video. In any event, the video is interesting, and IMHO, the subject fascinating.

Rhody... neeedeeep....

6. Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

7. Re: Croaking

I was thinking along the lines of "OMFGRACCOON!!!!" (Along the same lines, but we've seen one of these around lately, triggering our security lighting at night as he heads for the squirrel-feeder.)

But is it smart to be the first one to return croaking, to get the girl in his bravado (but risk being eaten before breeding), or to wait until the whole gang is croaking, but face the competition? Hmm.

8. Dembadon

Dembadon 662
    Gold Member

Aha! Thanks for the link.

:rofl:

That's great, Hypatia.

Thanks for the info and links, Rhody. I'll check 'em out this evening.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?