Myster Curev: Finding the points on the function

In summary, the task is to find a piecewise-defined function that passes through the given points and satisfies the following features: three inflection points, at least one relative maximum and minimum, at least one critical number that does not correspond to any of the given points, continuity and differentiability throughout. This can be achieved by breaking the function into two parts, one from x=1 to 5 and the other from x=5 to 10, and finding a polynomial for each part that satisfies the conditions at the given points.
ilovemynny
The following five points lie on a function: (1, 20), (2, 4), (5, 3), (6, 2), (10, 1). Find a function that passes through these points and has these features:

1. There are three inflection points
2. There is at least one relative maximum
3. There is at least one relative minimum
4. At least one of your critical numbers does NOT correspond to any of the given points.
5. The curve is continuous and differentiable throughout
6. The function is not a single polynomial, but must be a piecewise-defined function

I know how to find the relative max and min (pretty sure), I just don't know how to make a piece wise function for this. I've tried it a couple of times, and it's not working out. Since it asks that the curve is continuous this would mean that x can't have different values so every graph I make up is very useless.

I hope someone can help me or at least explain to me how i can get this started

Physics news on Phys.org
First, this has nothing to do with "differential equations" so I am moving it to "Calculus and beyond Homework".

It looks to me like a "piece-wise" function would be simpler than a polynomial.

Just break the problem into parts- say, from x= 1 to 5 for one part, x= 5 to 10 for the second part. Find one polynomial satifying the conditions at x= 1, 2, and 5, then another satisfying the conditions at x= 5, 6, and 10.

1. What is the purpose of Myster Curev and finding the points on the function?

The purpose of Myster Curev is to analyze and understand the behavior of a given mathematical function. By finding the points on the function, we can determine important characteristics such as the slope, concavity, and extrema.

2. How do you find the points on a function?

The points on a function can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for the input values. These input values will correspond to the critical points on the function.

3. What is the significance of the critical points on a function?

The critical points on a function are important because they can indicate where the function is increasing, decreasing, or changing direction. They can also help us identify maximum and minimum values of the function.

4. Can Myster Curev be used for any type of function?

Yes, Myster Curev can be used for any type of function as long as it is differentiable. This means that the function must have a well-defined tangent line at every point on its graph.

5. Are there any limitations to using Myster Curev to find points on a function?

Myster Curev is a mathematical tool and, like any tool, it has its limitations. It may not work for functions that are discontinuous or have sharp corners, as these functions do not have well-defined tangent lines at all points. Additionally, Myster Curev may not be able to find all the points on a function, as there may be infinitely many points on certain functions.