N-th dimensional Riemann integral

In summary: I'm not sure what ##A## is but I have some idea of what they are talking about.In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of integrability of functions on sets with no volume. It is explained that the integral of a function can be defined without regard to a specific set, but rather depends on the set where the function has non-zero values. An example of a set with no volume and an integrable function is given, and a further example is mentioned involving a "Swiss cheese" set with no interior points. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and an apology for not responding sooner.
nightingale123
Hello I have a question regarding something we wrote in class today.
Let ##A## be a bounded subset of ##R^n##, let ##f,g:A\to \mathbb{R}## be integrable functions on A.
##a)## if ## A## has a volume and ##\forall x \in A :m\leq f(x) \leq M## then ##mV(A)\leq \int_{A}f(x)\leq MV(A)##

this kinda surprised because I've always that that we could only integrate on sets who have a volume (circles squares etc.).

Could somebody give me an example of a set ##A## which does not have volume and a function ##f:A\to \mathbb{R}## which is integradable

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If A has no volume, presumably volume=0, then any integral of a function A-> R would be 0.

Likes nightingale123
I don't know what precise definitions you are using but I see it this way. The Riemann integral of a function can be defined without regard to a specific set, by approximating the function by step functions. In this way one always regards every function as defined on the whole eucliden space, usually with value zero at most points. For exampe the function with value 1 on the closed unit interval [0,1] can be regarded as having domin the whole real line by setting it equal to zero outside that interval. Thus even though it has domin the whole real line, which does not have a finite length, it still has a finite integral equal to 1.

If we choose any other subset A of the real line, we cn define the integral of f over A, by first multiplying f by the "characteristic function" of A, and then integrating the product. This results in leaving the values of f the same at points inside A, but chopping them off to zero at points outside A. Now as long as A is a set containing the unit interval, this will not change f at all nor its integral, and thus f will still be integrable over any set, no matter how complicated, as lon g as the set contains the unit interval

So the point is the integrability of f depends more on the set where f has non zero values than it does on the nature of the set A you say you are integrating over. So take a function f in the plane which equals 1 everywhere inside or on the unit circle and equals zero outside the unit circle. Now cook up some larger set A that contains the unit circle but that has such a ragged border so that its area is not defined. We can still integrate f over that awful set A because f has value zero at the worst parts of A, and the integral still has the same value, namely pi. But since A has no well defined area, we cannot compare the integral of f to the area of A.

does this make sense?

Likes nightingale123
A really hairy example exists, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_(mathematics).
cheesecolour.png

A short explanation of how to construct one:
  1. Start with a disc with radius 1
  2. List all points in the circle where both coordinates a rational (this is a countable set)
  3. Start with point 1. Punch a hole in the disc. The hole should be wholly contained in the disc and the radius should be ≤½
  4. Continue punching holes ad infinitum. Each hole should be wholly contained in the remains of the disc and the radius of hole n should be ≤1/2n
The remains of the disc then contains no open regions. The area of hole n is ≤π⋅1/22n, so the total area of the holes will be ≤π⋅∑1/22n=π/3.
Thus the remains of the disc (with no "interior points") has an area of at least π⋅2/3.

Attachments

• cheesecolour.png
    cheesecolour.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 566
Likes jim mcnamara, nightingale123 and fresh_42
I believe Svein is giving an example of a set with no area. In the sense of Riemann integration, a set has "content" iff its inner and outer contents are equal, i.e. its approximations by means of inner and outer unions of rectangles. Since his example has no interior, it contains no rectangkles at all, so the inner content is zero. But apparently the outer content must be positive, so the content oif this set is undefined. Nonetheless, if we take a function that equals zero on this whole set, then it has an integral over this set equal to zero.

I am an outsider in this subject and have not worked too hard on this, so might be off somewhere, but i did think about it a bit, and reviewed Loomis and Sternberg on the theory of integration via content, which I recommend to you.

Likes nightingale123
Nightingale, I hope you are seeing this. If so, would you please comment? Even if it is all "Greek" we may be able to clarify.

Likes nightingale123
I apologies for not replying sooner I was kinda depressed because I did bad on my midterm.

However I have though about this questions since then. We defined that a set has a volume when the volume of the boundry of the set is 0 in other words. ##V(\partial A)=0\Leftrightarrow \exists V(A)## and we also showed that if we define ##A:=\mathbb{Q}\cap[0,1]^2## then ##A## does not have volume as ##V(\partial A)=V([0,1]^2)=1\neq 0##. Then I though of this example but I'm not sure if it works. I though of choosing ##\forall x : f(x)=0##. And since ##A,f## are bounded and f is continuous that makes f integrable. However this is a really dumb example and I'm not sure if it even works

that is a perfect example! well done. (You might want to write Q^2 instead of Q, since your example seems to be in 2 dimensions.)

What is the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral"?

The "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a function in multiple dimensions. It is an extension of the one-dimensional Riemann integral, which is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension.

How is the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" calculated?

To calculate the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral", the domain of integration is divided into smaller regions, and the function is evaluated at specific points within each region. The sum of these values multiplied by the corresponding volumes of each region gives an approximation of the integral. As the number of regions approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate.

What is the significance of the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral"?

The "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of multidimensional functions and in the calculation of volumes and areas in higher dimensions. It is also used in the development of more advanced integration techniques, such as the Lebesgue integral.

What is the difference between the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" and the Lebesgue integral?

The main difference between the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" and the Lebesgue integral is the approach used to calculate them. The Riemann integral uses a partition of the domain of integration, while the Lebesgue integral uses a measure function to determine the size of each region. Additionally, the Lebesgue integral can handle a wider range of functions, including non-continuous and unbounded functions.

How is the "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" used in real-world applications?

The "N-th dimensional Riemann integral" has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate volumes and areas in higher dimensions, which is useful in designing structures and predicting outcomes in complex systems. It is also essential in fields such as computer graphics, where it is used to render three-dimensional objects.