NaLaF4:Er3+ up-conversion spectrum in glass an ceramics

In summary: The Stark effect is a phenomenon in which light is scattered in all directions because of the presence of many small particles in the medium. In this case, it could be that the higher phonon energy in ceramics results in more scattered light, which leads to a lower intensity.
prehisto
Hi,Guys.
I have registered 2 spectrum's. 980nm induced spectrum of NaLaF4:Er3+ glass and NaLaF4:Er3+ ceramics.
Now, i have to explain the observed differences.

spctr.jpg

So the first one and obvious one,is that in the case of glass, luminescence bands becomes wider,because of the lattice structure of glass. Glass has more possible no-equivalent structure spots where ions can build into therefore having different electrical fields,which affect the levels of ions.

But there seemingly is another effect ,shift of the bands. Could someone can,please,explain me is it possible and if yes, why this could happen ?

There is another effect , in the case of ceramics , the intensity is much higher . I have red that that s related to phonon energy. Glass has high phonon energy,cceramics-low. But how the energy of phonos affect the intensity of luminescence is unclear for me.

p.s. this is part of my study semester ,laboratory work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Width is wider, intensity is lower. And vice versa.
Integral is approximately the same.
Try to get spectra at low temperature (liquid N2) - without phonons.

Just a guess: In the crystal the Erbium impurities occupy some positions of high symmetry which lead to some selection rules on the absorption and emission lines. In a glass, this symmetry is disturbed and the selection rules are weakened which can lead to a shift of line strength from one transition to another.

ycheff said:
Width is wider, intensity is lower. And vice versa.
Integral is approximately the same.
Try to get spectra at low temperature (liquid N2) - without phonons.

I do not think it is possible to explain it just mathematically.
Yes,the low temperature spectra would definitely help, but unfortunately its not possible.

Ok, i think the widening and the shift could be explained by Stark effect.
But the intensity problem still is unclear.

1. What is NaLaF4:Er3+ up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics?

NaLaF4:Er3+ up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics refers to the process of converting low energy light into higher energy light in a material composed of sodium, lanthanum, fluorine, and erbium ions. This process is known as up-conversion and can produce visible light from infrared light.

2. What is the significance of studying NaLaF4:Er3+ up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics?

Understanding the up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics is important for various applications, including optical imaging, telecommunications, and solar energy conversion. It also has potential uses in developing more efficient and cost-effective materials for these applications.

3. How is the up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics measured?

The up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques. This involves shining a light of a specific wavelength onto the material and measuring the intensity of the light emitted at different wavelengths. The resulting spectrum can provide information about the energy levels and transitions of the ions within the material.

4. What factors affect the up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics?

The up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics can be influenced by various factors such as the concentration and distribution of erbium ions, the host material composition, and the excitation wavelength. Temperature and external electric or magnetic fields can also affect the spectrum.

5. What are the potential applications of NaLaF4:Er3+ up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics?

The up-conversion spectrum in glass and ceramics has potential applications in various fields, such as optical imaging for biomedical and environmental monitoring, telecommunications for faster data transmission, and solar energy conversion for more efficient solar cells. It can also be used in developing new materials for energy-efficient lighting and displays.