1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name for a function preserved over a relation

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    Given a relation R and a function f, is there a special name for f when

x R y implies f(x) R f(y)?

For example, if the relation R is simple equality, then all functions are of this type.

If R is <, then positive-scaling functions f(x) = ax (for positive a) are of this type.

A non-example would be f(x) = -x when the relation is <, because

"1 < 2 implies -1 < -2" is a false statement.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the case of inequalities, f is called order preserving. I don't think there's a general name for when it preserves a relation R though.... probably just say it's R-preserving, define that once and be done with it. Everyone will understand what you mean

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3
    I'm not sure if the term "homomorphism" would apply here. Or other ____morphism term (fill in the blanks).

By placing R (the same R) on both sides of the implication, you seem to suggest than f is a function from some set S to the same set S, in which case the term "endomorphism" might apply. But I'm not sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook