Organic Chemistry Synthesis Question

In summary, the problem involves a benzene ring with a methyl group and 1-butyne as reagents. The goal is to combine the two into one molecule with the alkyne group in the butyne becoming an oxacyclopropane and the first carbon in the alkyne attaching to the methyl group on the ring. The solution involves adding a substituent to the 1-butyne and using radical bromination to make the methyl group reactive, resulting in the desired product. A picture was provided to clarify the end result and the thread can be deleted after the solution is understood.
Kalm_Kenji
Homework Statement
I have a benzene ring with one methyl group attached and 1-butyne as the two reagents. The final product is a combinination of both into one molecule with the alkyne group in the butyne becoming an oxacyclopropane and the first carbon in the alkyne becoming attached to the methyl group on the ring.

The attempt at a solution
I've gotten the substituents attached to the 1-butyne and am left with a double bond in order to react with the methyl group.

My question is how do I make the methyl group on the benzene ring reactive with the double bond? My initial thought was to add a halide to the methyl group through radical bromination, but wouldn't the benzene ring undergo radical addition in the process? Is there another way to make a methyl group reactive?

Thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you maybe draw the result, cause I don't exactly understand what you want to end up with.

I attached a picture

Attachments

• example.JPG
    example.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 478
I got it figured. Feel free to delete this thread

u have to delete it i think

1. What is organic chemistry synthesis?

Organic chemistry synthesis is the process of creating new organic compounds by combining simpler molecules through chemical reactions.

2. What are the steps involved in organic chemistry synthesis?

The steps involved in organic chemistry synthesis typically include designing a synthesis plan, choosing appropriate starting materials, conducting reactions, purifying the product, and analyzing the final compound.

3. How do you choose the appropriate reaction conditions for organic chemistry synthesis?

The appropriate reaction conditions for organic chemistry synthesis depend on several factors, including the types of starting materials, desired products, and the overall goal of the synthesis. Some common considerations include temperature, solvent, catalysts, and reaction time.

4. What are some common challenges in organic chemistry synthesis?

Some common challenges in organic chemistry synthesis include low yields, side reactions, and purification difficulties. Other factors such as cost and availability of starting materials may also present challenges.

5. How is the success of organic chemistry synthesis determined?

The success of organic chemistry synthesis is determined by the purity and yield of the final product, as well as its characterization through various analytical techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and mass spectrometry (MS).