Naming IUPAC Polymer with MAA, Trim, AIBN & BTRB

In summary, the polymer in question was synthesized using methacrylic acid as the monomer, trimethylolpropane trimethacrylate as the cross-linker, azobisisobutyronitrile as the radical initiator, and butyl rhodamine B as the fluorescent probe. It was named triny-trim and its synthesis method and classification as a random, block, statistical, or graft copolymer are yet to be determined.
debutnik
Can someone please help me name (IUPAC) a polymer, polymerized by using methacrylic acid (MAA) as monomer, trimethylolpropane trimethacrylate (Trim) as cross-linker, azobisisobutyronitrile (AIBN) as radical initiator and butyl rhodamine B (BTRB)

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
debutnik said:
Can someone please help me name (IUPAC) a polymer, polymerized by using methacrylic acid (MAA) as monomer, trimethylolpropane trimethacrylate (Trim) as cross-linker, azobisisobutyronitrile (AIBN) as radical initiator and butyl rhodamine B (BTRB)

Thanx

You'll need to show what you've worked so far, as this sounds like a homework question.

This polymer was synthesized by Hun et al. [1] and I would like to put this unique polymer in a table for my PhD thesis.
Thank you again

Nir

[1] X. Hun, Z. Zhang, L. Tiao, Anti-Her-2 monoclonal antibody conjugated polymer fluorescent nanoparticles probe for ovarian cancer imaging. Analytica chimica acta 625(2) (2008) 201-206.

Welcome to PF!

debutnik said:

Thanx

Hi debutnik! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'd call it triny-trim! :wink:

How was the copolymer made? Suspension polymerization? Would you consider it to be a random copolymer? Block copolymer? Statistical copolymer? Graft copolymer?

Related to Naming IUPAC Polymer with MAA, Trim, AIBN & BTRB

1. What is IUPAC Polymer?

IUPAC Polymer stands for International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry Polymer. It is a set of rules and guidelines for naming polymers, which are large molecules made up of repeating smaller units called monomers.

2. What is the significance of MAA, Trim, AIBN, and BTRB?

MAA, Trim, AIBN, and BTRB are all monomers that are commonly used in polymer synthesis. MAA stands for methacrylic acid, Trim stands for trimethylolpropane triacrylate, AIBN stands for azobisisobutyronitrile, and BTRB stands for 2,2'-bistrifluoromethyl-4,4'-biphenyldiol. These monomers are used to create different types of polymers with specific properties.

3. How are polymers named using IUPAC guidelines?

Polymers are named using the IUPAC guidelines by first identifying the monomer units and their positions in the polymer chain. The name of the monomer is then followed by the prefix "poly-" and the number of monomer units in the chain. For example, a polymer made from MAA and Trim with 100 monomer units would be named poly(methacrylic acid-co-trimethylolpropane triacrylate)100.

4. Can polymers with multiple monomer types be named using IUPAC?

Yes, polymers with multiple monomer types can be named using IUPAC guidelines. The different monomer units are listed in alphabetical order and separated by hyphens. The total number of monomer units is indicated after the polymer name. For example, a polymer made from MAA, Trim, and AIBN with 50 monomer units would be named poly(methacrylic acid-co-trimethylolpropane triacrylate-co-azobisisobutyronitrile)50.

5. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules for polymers?

There are some exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules for polymers, particularly for polymers with complex structures. In these cases, a systematic name may not be feasible and a common name may be used instead. Additionally, polymers with repeating units that do not fit the normal naming conventions may be named using a generic descriptor, such as "polyurethane" or "polystyrene".