Naming monodentate ligand complexes

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ligand
In summary, a monodentate ligand is a molecule or ion that can bind to a central metal ion through a single atom. The name of a monodentate ligand complex includes the name of the ligand, the central metal ion, and the overall charge of the complex. This is different from naming a polydentate ligand complex, which includes a prefix to indicate the number of binding atoms. The charge of a monodentate ligand complex is determined by balancing the charges of the ligand and the central metal ion. Common monodentate ligands include water, ammonia, chloride, and cyanide, which can bind to various central metal ions.
crays
Hi guys, i know how to name monodentate ligand complexes but there is a particular one that my textbook and teacher's notes is quite the opposite, its regarding the fac and mer isomer.

for a Ma3b3 structure,

a fac forms a face and a mer have the ligands in meridian position, but for these two, which are the cis and which are the fac? My textbook says, fac is equivalent to cis but my teacher's notes says the opposite, help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody's perfect.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out about naming monodentate ligand complexes. The fac and mer isomers can be a bit confusing, but I will do my best to clarify.

First, let's define what fac and mer mean. Fac stands for facial, which means the ligands are arranged in a way that forms a face. Mer stands for meridional, which means the ligands are arranged in a way that forms a meridian line.

Now, for a Ma3b3 structure, the fac isomer would have all three ligands on one face of the central metal ion, while the mer isomer would have the ligands arranged around a meridian line. It may help to visualize the structures in three dimensions to better understand this.

In terms of cis and trans, these terms refer to the relative positions of two ligands on opposite sides of the central metal ion. In a cis isomer, the two ligands are on the same side, while in a trans isomer, the two ligands are on opposite sides.

So, to answer your question, the fac is equivalent to the cis isomer, as they both have the ligands arranged on one face of the central metal ion. The mer is equivalent to the trans isomer, as they both have the ligands arranged around a meridian line.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is a monodentate ligand?

A monodentate ligand is a molecule or ion that can bind to a central metal ion through a single atom, typically through a lone pair of electrons.

2. How do you name a monodentate ligand complex?

The name of a monodentate ligand complex is written by first listing the name of the ligand, followed by the name of the central metal ion and the overall charge of the complex in parentheses. For example, the complex formed between ammonia (NH3) and copper (II) would be named ammonia copper (II) complex.

3. What is the difference between naming a monodentate ligand complex and a polydentate ligand complex?

A polydentate ligand complex contains more than one atom that can bind to the central metal ion, while a monodentate ligand complex only has one binding atom. This means that the name of a polydentate ligand complex will include a prefix to indicate the number of binding atoms, such as di-, tri-, or tetra-.

4. How do you determine the charge of a monodentate ligand complex?

The charge of a monodentate ligand complex is determined by balancing the charges of the ligand and the central metal ion. The overall charge of the complex will be equal to the charge of the metal ion plus the charge of the ligand.

5. What are some common monodentate ligands?

Some common monodentate ligands include water (H2O), ammonia (NH3), chloride (Cl-), and cyanide (CN-). These ligands can bind to a variety of central metal ions, including transition metals like copper, iron, and zinc.