1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Proving De Moivre's Theorem for Negative Numbers?

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    Or basically anything that isn't a positive integer.

So I can prove quite easily by induction that for any integer n>0, De Moivre's Theorem (below) holds.

If ##\DeclareMathOperator\cis{cis} z = r\cis\theta, z^n= r^n\cis(n\theta)##

My proof below:

Let P(n) be the statement ##z^n = r^n\cis(n\theta)##

Prove true for n = 1:
    ##z^1 = z = r\cis\theta = r^1\cis(1\theta)##

Assume true for n = k:
    ##z^k = r^k\cis(k\theta)##

Prove true for n = k + 1:
    ##z^{k+1} = z^k \times z\\
    = r^k\cis(k\theta) * r\cis\theta\\
    = r^{k+1}\cis(k\theta)\cis\theta\\
    = r^{k+1}(\cos(k\theta) + i\sin(k\theta))((\cos\theta + i\sin\theta)\\
    = r^{k+1}(\cos(k\theta)\cos\theta + \cos(k\theta)i\sin\theta + i\sin(k\theta)\cos\theta - \sin(k\theta)\sin\theta)##
    then by compound angle identities
    ##= r^{k+1}(\cos(k\theta + \theta) + i\sin(k\theta + \theta))\\
    = r^{k+1}\cis((k+1)\theta)##

However I struggle to do this with negatives. I tried the simple case of

##\frac{1}{r\cis\theta}## and from there, try to get to ##\frac{1}{r}\cis(-\theta)##, but I've only managed to do that by replacing the numerator of 1 with ##r\cis0##, which is equivalent, and then from there using De Moivre's Theorem to get an argument of ##-\theta##, which is... not very useful considering De Moivre's Theorem is what I'm trying to prove in the first place.

I just can't manipulate it into a form that would allow me to use compound angle identities like I could with positive numbers. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

You can use $$z^{-n} = (z^n)^{-1}$$

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the relation between ##\frac{1}{\cis \theta}## and ##\cis (-\theta)##?

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4
    Yeah, but I can't prove that that last step (raising the complex number to a power of -1) will make the angle/argument inside ##\cis## negative

I know that ##\frac{1}{r\cis\theta} = (r\cis\theta)^{-1}##, but -1 is outside the boundaries for n that I have proved in my first post :(

I know it works, I would just like to prove it.

6. Apr 24, 2016 #5

Math_QED

Homework Helper

What is $$1/z$$ equal to?

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what?
    Where in your proof for positive ##n## did it matter whether the angle is positive or negative?
    You didn't answer the question: what is the relation between ##\frac{1}{\cis \theta}## and ##\cis (-\theta)##?

8. Apr 24, 2016 #7
    ##z^{-1}##, but my proof in the OP only works for positive integers. I'm trying to use -1 as a base case to write a proof for negative numbers, but for some reason I cannot work out how to apply a similar strategy (expand then use compound identities)

It doesn't matter if θ is positive or negative, what matters is its multiplier, which is n.

Well... they are equal, but thus far my understanding of it is only intuitive, until I can prove it, which is what I'm asking for help with

9. Apr 24, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so if ##z=a+ib##, where ##a, b## are real, how would you compute ##\frac{1}{z}=\frac{1}{a+ib}##?
    Hint: multiply numerator and denominator by ##a-ib##.

Once you have proven that ##\frac{1}{\cis \theta}=\cis (-\theta)##, you can easily transform the formula with a negative ##n## into a formula with the positive ##-n##. And then you can use what you already have proven.

10. Apr 24, 2016 #9
    Brilliant, just what I was looking for

I completely forgot about looking at the complex numbers in rectangular form instead, cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted