Calculating charge density of particular ligands

In summary, the individual is undergoing a personal investigation on the factors affecting the splitting of d orbitals in a complex ion. However, calculating the charge density for polyatomic ligands like cyanide and ammonia, as well as neutral compounds like water, has proven challenging. They have tried using the formula for calculating charge density of ions such as bromide and chloride, but are unsure how to apply it to ligands without an overall charge. They are also seeking advice on calculating charge density for ligands in polyatomic compounds. A suggestion is given to research the "spectrochemical series."
jappy190
Hi everyone, this is my first thread!
I am currently undergoing a personal investigation that is based on one of the factors which effect the splitting of d orbitals in central metal ion by the charge density of ligands (in a complex ion).

However, recently I got stumped by trying to calculate charge density when dealing with polyatomic ligands such as cyanide and ammonia, as well as neutral compounds such as water . Perhaps I should try to look at partial charge? I am not sure.

I used the formula (charge on ion * charge on one electron / 4*pi* ionic radii cubed) to find the charge density of ions such as bromide and chloride ion. For my metal ion I am using cobalt (III) ion

To say in brief:
How do I calculate charge density of ligands like water which do not have an overall charge, for complex ions. Also how to find the charge density of ligands of polyatomic compounds like ammonia and cyanide?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You might start by googling "spectrochemical series."

Likes jappy190
Thanks for your suggestion !

1. How is charge density of a ligand calculated?

The charge density of a ligand is calculated by dividing the total charge of the ligand by its volume. This can be represented by the formula: ρ = Q/V, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the total charge, and V is the volume of the ligand.

2. What factors affect the charge density of a ligand?

The charge density of a ligand can be affected by several factors, such as the number and type of atoms present, the overall charge of the ligand, and the size and shape of the ligand. Additionally, the presence of neighboring atoms or molecules can also influence the charge density of a ligand.

3. Why is calculating charge density important in ligand design?

Calculating charge density is important in ligand design because it helps determine the overall charge distribution of the ligand, which can affect its binding properties and interactions with other molecules. This information is crucial in designing ligands for specific purposes, such as in drug development or catalysis.

4. Can charge density be experimentally measured?

Yes, charge density can be experimentally measured using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods provide information about the atomic and molecular structure of a ligand, which can then be used to calculate its charge density.

5. How does charge density affect the stability of a ligand?

The charge density of a ligand can affect its stability by influencing its interactions with other molecules or ions. A higher charge density may result in stronger binding interactions, making the ligand more stable. On the other hand, a lower charge density may lead to weaker binding and decreased stability of the ligand.