1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming the following benzene structure

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

chem.png

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

i understand that benzoate is derived from carboxylic acid (COOH) to which isopropyl has replaced the H, forming a benzoate substituent to which we derive the parent name of the structure. I understand that Chloro is the name for the Cl substituent and that it is joined to C2. What i dont understand is why the structure is called:

isopropyl-2-chlorobenzoate

as opposed to

2-chloroisopropylbenzoate

does it possibly have something to do with the fact that 2-chloroisopropylbenzoate does not specify whether the Cl substituent is joined to C2 on isopropyl or benzene? Or does the isopropyl group take priority over the Cl group?

isopropyl-2-chlorobenzoate isnt alphabetised and thats what confuses me the most here.

Not quite sure and in need of a little help. Thankyou.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That would be my understanding - chloroisopropyl suggests to me chlorine attached to isopropyl, not to the benzene ring.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook