Nanoparticles and nanoparticle cream

• Thread starter bioquest
  • Start date
In summary, the products claimed to contain nanoparticles that would improve the effectiveness of the product, but Which? found that the companies were often providing false information to customers. The products do not actually contain nanoparticles and may not have any effect on the skin.
bioquest
I was wondering...if this cream would work for my mom/me/anyone...I've heard that inhaling nanoparticles can be bad for your lungs/circulatory system although maybe I misunderstood what I read I only glanced at the words about nanoparticles being dangerous...is it possible this cream would actually work well or is it crap? I mean it sounded sort of technological/cool, but sometimes when I am depressed I get stupid so I was wondering if there would be any advantages to using this cream, if it would actually help with wrinkles etc. Normally I'm just like "whatever" to creams but

http://www.bimene.com/about.asp

this is where I found it advertised...I guess they are separate companies?

http://www.telomolecular.com/about_us.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Well, a moisturizer can help if you have dry skin, but don't expect anything special about any products that make all these great claims. Usually, if you look closely at the "before and after" photos, you'll notice all the differences are due to things like different lighting, some makeup, squinting vs a more relaxed facial expression, or frowning vs smiling.

You are correct that inhaling nanoparticles can be very dangerous for the lungs. This is an active area of research for occupational exposures.

But the nanoparticles are delivering the collagen more effectively than any normal cream could?
With the nanoparticle technology isn't it possible that it could very effectively get rid of wrinkles and stuff? Or should I not expect the cream to be that great? (for my mom for example) did you see the before & after photos? It didn't look like they just used lighting etc to get that effect

they say

For the first time very large proteins like collagen "can" be delivered into the skin, inside the cells, and within the delicate matrices that makeup its layers, with a special nanotechnology we developed for delivering anti-aging proteins to the organs of mice.
"We are confident that collagen has never been delivered into cells in a beauty product. Lack of collagen is one of the fundamental differences between aged and young skin and bĭm·ə·nē™ is the only effective tool for cosmetically adding collagen to your cells where it can be utilized to form structures and connections. The result is youthfulness.

Do you think it would reverse wrinkles like in the before and after pic on the website?

"
By injecting collagen doctors may temporarily repair wrinkles by making the skin fuller, however, this is painful and does not really address the aging and wrinkling of your skin because the collagen is not added to the interior of your cells or deposited properly on the surface of cells where it belongs. Instead, injected collagen becomes a mass under your skin that can stretch the skin further making your wrinkles more pronounced as the collagen degrades. bĭm·ə·nē™ adds collagen into your cells and onto the surface of your cells in such a way that the collagen can be used properly by the cell to form structures and make the skin more interconnected and tensile. This is beauty. "

Last edited:
I think you might be guilty here of buying into the propaganda. Why does it matter if - assuming the claim is true - the "pentapeptides"/nanoparticles/magic x formula are delivered into the skin more effectively, what actual effect does this have. At the end of the day skin may be visibly improved, may feel more flexible, but there really is no difference between any other face cream and the most expensive hyaluronic acid preps on the market. They all do the same thing. I think the phrase "hope in a jar" sums it up rather well.

This is a good article about skin creams I read recently from The Times newspaper.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/beauty/article3076047.ece"

Manufacturers are blinding consumers with science to the extent that even their own customer services departments cannot give accurate explanations of how these products work, Which?, the consumer organisation, found. In fact, so-called “nanoparticles” included in some products may actually be harmful, and should be avoided, dermatologists suggest.

Posing as consumers, researchers from Which? contacted customer services departments of the leading brands Garnier, L’Oréal and Olay, to ask how the claimed active ingredients in their products actually worked on the skin. The researchers asked about three products: Olay Regenerist Serum (RRP £22.50 for 50ml), Garnier Nutritionist Omega Skin (£12) and L’Oréal Dermagenesis (£18.99).

They then showed recorded transcripts of the conversations to Sense About Science, a charity that promotes accuracy in science, to see what it thought of the information. Experts concluded that the companies were often fobbing off customers with spurious or misleading information.

For example, when asked what was the hyaluronic acid contained in the L’Oréal moisturising cream, the company’s customer service representative incorrectly stated: “It’s not an actual acid,” before adding, “The product replumps, tautens and illuminates to give a radiance to the skin.”

Gary Moss, a pharmacist from the University of Hertfordshire, dismissed this explanation as “utter waffle”.

Last edited by a moderator:
bioquest said:
I've heard that inhaling nanoparticles can be bad for your lungs/circulatory system although maybe I misunderstood what I read I only glanced at the words about nanoparticles being dangerous...is it possible this cream would actually work well or is it crap?

I was quite interested in this discussion because I do research with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide nanoparticles, which are found in cosmetics and sunscreen. Besides being harmful to your circulatory system, they are also hazardous to skin cells. I've tested these nanoparticles mainly on keratinocytes and sometimes dermal fibroblasts, which are both found on the epidermis layer of the skin, and the zinc oxide nanoparticles especially have shown to be extremely hazardous to the cells. It's interesting how these companies that are trying to promote healthy skin are actually putting in nanoparticles which pose a threat to cells. If the nanoparticles have an antioxidant coating, however, this can help prevent some damage to cells.

Could nanoparticles be used to combat antioxident damage, ie could they be used just for that purpose and if so how efficiently, when they have an antioxidant coating?

bioquest said:
Could nanoparticles be used to combat antioxident damage, ie could they be used just for that purpose and if so how efficiently, when they have an antioxidant coating?

Please re-read the post by newyork. S/he is stating that the nanoparticles CAUSE the damage, and the antioxidant coating only serves to protect from SOME (not necessarily all) of the damage they are causing. Net effect...more harm than good.

And, consider the risks you're exposing the workers making these cosmetics to...while you're getting this in a cream to smear on your skin, they're working with the nanoparticles BEFORE adding them to the cream, which is the inhalation hazard discussed above.

To put it simply, do not expect advertisements to be factual...they are intended to sell a product and make the company money, not teach science. This is especially true in the cosmetics industry. Consider it this way...if there was a real scientific basis for what they are doing, and it actually benefitted the skin in a safe and reliable way, they wouldn't be selling it as a cosmetic, they'd be getting it approved as a drug and selling it through prescriptions by dermatologists.

that's what I thought they were saying but I wasnt sure...I didn't want to miss knowing that nanoparticles could help combat free radical problems if they could...although it seems like they'd cause potential problems whatever they were used for at the moment anyway, and that they wouldn't help with the free radical problem so

1. What are nanoparticles?

Nanoparticles are tiny particles with at least one dimension less than 100 nanometers. They can be made from various materials such as metals, polymers, or ceramics.

2. What is nanoparticle cream?

Nanoparticle cream is a type of topical cream that contains nanoparticles as its active ingredient. These creams are designed to penetrate the skin more efficiently and deliver targeted treatments.

3. How do nanoparticles work in cream?

Nanoparticles in cream work by penetrating the skin's barrier and reaching deeper layers. They can then release their active ingredients, providing targeted treatment at the site of application.

4. Are nanoparticles safe to use in skincare products?

The safety of nanoparticles in skincare products is still being studied. While some studies have shown potential risks, such as skin irritation and potential toxicity, others have found them to be safe for use. It is important to use products with nanoparticles as directed and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.

5. What are the benefits of using nanoparticle cream?

Nanoparticle cream can have several benefits, such as enhanced skin penetration and targeted treatment. They can also have a longer shelf life and be more stable than traditional creams. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of using nanoparticle creams.