Nanotechnology for engineering physics guy: which courses?

In summary, a student in their 3rd year of a 5-year MS program in engineering physics is considering specializing in nanotech. They are unsure about which courses to take in their 4th year and consulted with a physics professor who suggested taking a "basic physics package" including graduate level Quantum Mechanics, Numerical Physics, Classical Transportation Theory, and Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena. They are also free to choose 4 other subjects, but the professor advised focusing on more theoretical courses rather than engineering ones. The student is interested in working with self-replicating systems and wonders if courses in cybernetics would be beneficial. They are also considering taking a course on nonlinear dynamics and chaos, but are unsure if it
Nikitin
Hi. I'm currently in my 3rd year of a 5-year MS program in engineering physics. I have decided to specialize in nanotech, and that into consideration I am a unsure on which courses I should take in my 4th. A professor I talked to told me I should definitely go for a "basic physics package" containing:

*Graduate level Quantum Mechanics: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TFY4205#tab=omEmnet
*Numerical Physics.
*Classical Transportation Theory: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TFY4275#tab=omEmnet
*Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/FY3106/2014#tab=omEmnet

And 4 other subjects that I am free to choose, but he thought I should choose more theoretical stuff rather than engineering subjects. Though he is a professor of physics so he might be a bit biased.

Anyway, my question is, what should I choose as my 4 other subjects? Are there any specific directions in nanotech I should go towards, being a physicist? I don't expect receiving an exact course plan for the next two years, I am just curious on what I should take, and what the possibilities will be. If it's relevant, I'll be doing my 4th year in Berkeley as an exchange student.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I want to work with self-replicating systems, so I assume cybernetics courses would be useful?

And would taking something like nonlinear dynamics and Chaos, http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TFY4305/2013#tab=omEmnet, be a waste of time? The material is interesting to me, but I don't see how it is relevant.

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of materials at the nanoscale, which is on the order of 1-100 nanometers. It involves building and designing structures and devices at the molecular level, leading to unique properties and applications.

2. How is nanotechnology used in engineering physics?

Nanotechnology is used in engineering physics to design and create new materials with enhanced properties, such as strength, conductivity, and durability. It is also used in the development of sensors, actuators, and other devices for various engineering applications.

3. What are some examples of courses related to nanotechnology in engineering physics?

Some examples of courses related to nanotechnology in engineering physics include Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, Nanomechanics, Nanoelectronics, and Nanophotonics. These courses cover topics such as nanoscale fabrication, characterization, and applications in various engineering fields.

4. What skills are necessary for studying nanotechnology in engineering physics?

To study nanotechnology in engineering physics, one should have a strong foundation in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. Additionally, skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are important for understanding and manipulating materials at the nanoscale.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for someone with a background in nanotechnology and engineering physics?

Some potential career opportunities for someone with a background in nanotechnology and engineering physics include working in research and development for industries such as electronics, materials, and biotechnology. Other options include working in government agencies or academic institutions as a scientist or engineer focusing on nanotechnology applications.