Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NaOH by electrolysis

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    So, when water is electrolysed NaOH is created,but since NaOH is an electrolyte itself how de we know that the NaOH doesn't start electrolysing too?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What are the products of electrolysis of NaOH?

4. Dec 27, 2014 #3
    Sodium chlorate and some other stuff

5. Dec 27, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try again. You want to know how to tell whether or not NaOH is being electrolyzed, remember.

6. Dec 27, 2014 #5
    I thought somebody had experience and could tell me this from experience, I tried making it a lot of time and it allways gets contaminated from the collapsing of my carbon electrodes. So before i find out if will stop when its done (so i know when its done) I wont go and find a power supply that doesnt collapse my electrodes,also i need to make a cell membrane

7. Dec 27, 2014 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Dec 27, 2014 #7
    Allready did,I'm just going to use it for getting a small amount of pure sodium

9. Dec 27, 2014 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Which is exactly the reason why I have to lock the thread.

You won't easily get pure Na by electrolysis at home. This process requires high temperature and is quite dangerous. It is obvious you are not experienced enough to even try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook