Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA planetary science budget woes

Tags:
  1. Dec 9, 2013 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is from last week (I was on vacation and then I worked like a dog to make up for the vacation):

mikebrown.jpg

Nature news article on the subject: http://www.nature.com/news/nasa-funding-shuffle-alarms-planetary-scientists-1.14304
    Eric Berger on the subject: http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/1...netary-science-will-nasa-soon-stand-for-nada/

NASA escaped the 2013 sequestration without trimming too much substance. This will not be the case for 2014, with the planetary sciences budget appearing to be taking the greatest hit.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2
    Tough times ahead :(

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
  5. Dec 9, 2013 #4
    I wish the government would take just 1% of the defense budget and put it into science. With that much money, we could colonize the sun.

6. Dec 9, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wrong.

The NSF alone has a budget about the size of 1% of Defense. That doesn't include NASA, DoE or NIH.

7. Dec 9, 2013 #6
    Eh, honestly it's hard enough for scientists who work in areas where there should be jobs to find jobs, I find it a bit hard to sympathize with people who basically won the job lottery.

They'll just have to find real work like everyone else now...

8. Dec 9, 2013 #7
    What percentage of it would we need to colonize the sun?

9. Dec 9, 2013 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at how much it cost just to colonize Afghanistan. Yeah we were fighting insurgents but that's probably easier than fighting the sun. Easily larger than 100% of the defense budget.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook