Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA reports sabotage and drunk astronauts

1. Jul 26, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19981415/

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/07/26/astronaut.drinking.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

This probably merits two threads but both stories broke about the same time. If this causes confusion, Evo or I can split it up later.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2
    I dont hold NASA in high regards, so this is no surprise to me. Actually, I care very little about NASA.

4. Jul 27, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's very unfortunate, but people are people. It happens in aerospace, nuclear and medical industries. Hopefully intervention by others removes such people before they do harm. In the nuclear industry, we have 'fitness for duty' requirements, and that includes random testing for drug and alcohol for those directly involved in the operation nuclear plants.

I know and work with a number very fine people at NASA. Don't judge the organization because of the actions of a few people. NASA, like many large organization, is bureaucratic and is subject the vagaries of the NASA and federal administrations.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  5. Jul 27, 2007 #4

J77

:confused: That's a bizarre comment :confused:

Have they done something to hurt you?

6. Jul 27, 2007 #5
    Oh, they let politics get in the way of the first shuttle blowing up, instead of looking at safety and listening to what the engineers had to say about the extreme cold. They converted their units wrong and crashed a $125 million Mars orbiter. They have diaper wearing lunatics/alcoholics for astronauts. They let G. Bush sensor what they say in their reports on the climate. Also, I saw a program on the lives of the families after the second shuttle that crashed on return. There was one woman whose husband is also an Astronaut. They were filiming his life after his wife died, and that guy was a real POS. He didnt know jack about his son, how to do anything around the house. He was like, "Yeah, I put my job before my family....but Im trying to learn about my son now". I was like wow, your son is almost 13 years old, if not older. You're a little late there my friend.

These are not traits I respect in an Organization that supposedly has the 'best and brightest'.

NASA in the 60's, now thats something to respect.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  7. Jul 27, 2007 #6

Astronuc

I believe that was a subcontractor, not NASA. However, it was NASA's project and there should have been better oversight.

One will find people like that in every sector of science and technology. I know a guy who realized when his daughter graduated from high school that he really didn't know her. He quit his job, which he had made a priority in his life, in order to spend more time with his family.

8. Jul 27, 2007 #7
    My jaw hit the floor as I watched that program though. He was talking to his son, how do I cook for you? Hes making the kid crap like hot dogs. And hes talking to his son like hes a stranger. Talk about weird....

He was like, "Yeah, I'd go to work all day and come home late at night and go back to work in the morning. I'd spend almost no time with my family"

9. Jul 27, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Astronauts' Behavior Prompts NASA Policy Debate
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12309233

A debate!? What's to debate? You get drunk (before a flight) - you're out!

NASA needs to drop the hammer and mandate 'fitness for duty'. If you're drunk before a flight - you're unfit.

I heard someone mention that the NASA policy was no drinking 12 hrs before a flight. I am somewhat bewildered by that statement. One shouldn't be drinking days or a week or more before a flight, especially with all the prep. I am not referring to one or two drinks (e.g. beer or wine) with a meal, but rather thinking of the situation where one is drinking many drinks.

Safety is paramount and if there is suspicion of someone being drunk or under the influence while on duty, the testing should be mandatory, and anyone failing a test goes on immediate suspension. Reckless endangerment is unacceptable.

10. Jul 27, 2007 #9
    "That's not the 'right stuff' as far as I'm concerned," said Bart Gordon, D-Tennessee.

Well said, Mr.Gordon!

I guess this story shocks me more than anything. You would think that 2 incredibly incredibly people, (the astronauts), would be sensible enough to refrain from drinking alcohol a few days before a Space Flight. They have a responsibility to the Nation be fully aware of what they are doing!

11. Jul 29, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get this. It was reported that the 12 hour bottle to throttle rule was only applied to training missions!!!

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/07/bottle-to-throt.html

This must all trace back to the original test pilots - The Right Stuff and all. Hard drinkin, hard playin thrill seekers.

12. Jul 29, 2007 #11
    I don't understand how it was only enforced during training. That's a bit ridiculous for an organization like NASA. One would think that they wouldn't gamble with lives like that... oh and their own expensive hardware. Needless to say, they don't need any more negative attention these days. At least there were no hostages involved this time.

13. Jul 29, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...or diapers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?