Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

National vs. international conference

1. Oct 13, 2010 #1
    Hi. This isn't really a technical question, but here it goes. I'm filling out an application, and I have to indicate whether the conferences I have attended are institutional, national, or international. How do you distinguish these? From what I can tell, almost all conferences allow international participants, but does that mean that they are all international conferences? Or does it matter "where" the conference is held year-to-year.? How do you know. I tried searching the conference websites, but they don't really state whether the conference is national or international, unless it's right in the title of the conference.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2010 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure the lines are all that clear. Generally you would define this by the geographical distribution of the abstracts. Institutional-level conferences would be things like a physics department expo, or a graduate studies fair. An example of a national conference might be something like the Canadian Undergraduate Physics Conference - because the vast majority of people presenting will be from a single country (although there may be some international submissions). Otherwise, if you have contributions and guest speakers from all over the world, or even just a few countries, it's international.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook