National vs. international conference

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between institutional, national, and international conferences. It is noted that while most conferences allow international participants, it is not necessarily an indicator of an international conference. The geographical distribution of abstracts is often used to determine the type of conference, with institutional conferences having a more localized focus and international conferences featuring contributions from various countries. However, it is not always clear from the conference website whether it is national or international.
Pacopag
Hi. This isn't really a technical question, but here it goes. I'm filling out an application, and I have to indicate whether the conferences I have attended are institutional, national, or international. How do you distinguish these? From what I can tell, almost all conferences allow international participants, but does that mean that they are all international conferences? Or does it matter "where" the conference is held year-to-year.? How do you know. I tried searching the conference websites, but they don't really state whether the conference is national or international, unless it's right in the title of the conference.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure the lines are all that clear. Generally you would define this by the geographical distribution of the abstracts. Institutional-level conferences would be things like a physics department expo, or a graduate studies fair. An example of a national conference might be something like the Canadian Undergraduate Physics Conference - because the vast majority of people presenting will be from a single country (although there may be some international submissions). Otherwise, if you have contributions and guest speakers from all over the world, or even just a few countries, it's international.

What is the difference between a national and international conference?

A national conference is an event that takes place within a single country and focuses on topics and issues specific to that country. An international conference, on the other hand, is a gathering of people from different countries to discuss global issues and advancements in a particular field.

Which type of conference is better for networking?

Both national and international conferences offer great networking opportunities. National conferences allow for connections within a specific country, while international conferences provide a chance to network with people from around the world and expand one's professional network.

What are the benefits of attending a national conference?

Attending a national conference allows individuals to stay updated on current issues and advancements in their field within their own country. It also provides the opportunity to network with professionals and researchers from different institutions within the country.

What are the benefits of attending an international conference?

Attending an international conference provides a global perspective on issues and advancements in a particular field. It also allows for networking with professionals from different countries, which can lead to collaborations and new opportunities for research and professional growth.

Which type of conference is more expensive to attend?

The cost of attending a conference varies depending on the location, duration, and organization. In general, international conferences tend to be more expensive due to the additional costs of travel and accommodation. However, there are also budget-friendly options available for both national and international conferences.