Natural isomorphisms between dual spaces

In summary, the question is about the canonical "evaluation map" and whether it is a "natural" isomorphism between V and V** without the need for selecting bases. It is also mentioned that establishing an isomorphism between V and V* usually involves a selection of bases and is not "natural". It is then discussed that V and V* are not naturally isomorphic in the finite-dimensional case, and a proof is given for this fact. Finally, the idea of using test-values to distinguish linear functionals on V is explained. The idea is that n independent test-values are needed to determine a linear functional, while only n values (a vector in F^n) are needed for V**.
wisvuze
EDIT: finite dimensional only!

Hello, I would like to ask a question; I understand that the cannonical "evaluation map" ( (p(v))(f) = f(v) , f is a functional, v in V ) from V -> V** is a "natural" isomorphism ( we don't have to select any bases, the isomorphism relies on no choices ), so V and V** are naturally isomorphic. However, we usually establish an isomorphism from V to V* by the use of dual bases, which involves a selection of bases and is not "natural".
I've been told that V and V* are not naturally isomorphic, can we not find an isomorphism from V to V* that requires no choice? I can't think of one on my own, but that is certainly no proof.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if V is not finite-dimensional, V* is not isomorphic to V, it's "bigger"

Sorry, I meant finite dimensional only. And it's also true that V** and V won't be isomorphic in the infinite dimensional case

think of it this way: suppose you have V, and V*. given v in V, how can you unambiguously choose an f in V* that goes with v? you can't just use f(v), because there are multiple f in V* wih f(v) all the same. you have to compare how f acts on a basis to distinguish it from all the other linear functionals (and a basis is the smallest set of vectors that will do).

in other words, to figure out which linear functional you have, you need n independent "test-values". this is because f collapses n values to 1 value. the reason we DON'T need to do this for V**, is that if we have n^2 values collapsing down to n, that is the same as having n values (a vector in F^n) to start with.

I've been told that V and V* are not naturally isomorphic, can we not find an isomorphism from V to V* that requires no choice? I can't think of one on my own, but that is certainly no proof.
To actually prove this, one of course needs to make the notion of 'natural isomorphism' precise, which has been done in category theory. See here for a proof of the fact there there is no natural isomorphism between the identity functor and the dual functor.

Deveno said:
think of it this way: suppose you have V, and V*. given v in V, how can you unambiguously choose an f in V* that goes with v? you can't just use f(v), because there are multiple f in V* wih f(v) all the same. you have to compare how f acts on a basis to distinguish it from all the other linear functionals (and a basis is the smallest set of vectors that will do).

in other words, to figure out which linear functional you have, you need n independent "test-values". this is because f collapses n values to 1 value. the reason we DON'T need to do this for V**, is that if we have n^2 values collapsing down to n, that is the same as having n values (a vector in F^n) to start with.

great reply! Thanks! That's a cool way of thinking about it

Landau said:
To actually prove this, one of course needs to make the notion of 'natural isomorphism' precise, which has been done in category theory. See here for a proof of the fact there there is no natural isomorphism between the identity functor and the dual functor.

thanks, I was just looking at this in my algebra book

1. What is a natural isomorphism between dual spaces?

A natural isomorphism between dual spaces is a bijective linear transformation between the dual spaces of two vector spaces that preserves the algebraic structure and respects the duality relationship between the two spaces. It is often denoted as Φ: V* → W*.

2. How is a natural isomorphism different from a regular isomorphism?

A natural isomorphism is a special type of isomorphism that not only preserves the algebraic structure of the vector spaces, but also respects the duality relationship between the dual spaces. This means that the dual spaces are isomorphic in a way that is compatible with the original vector spaces.

3. What is the significance of natural isomorphisms in mathematics and science?

Natural isomorphisms play a crucial role in modern mathematics and science, particularly in areas such as algebra, topology, and functional analysis. They provide a powerful tool for understanding the relationship between different mathematical structures and can lead to deeper insights and new discoveries.

4. Can natural isomorphisms be extended to other mathematical structures?

Yes, natural isomorphisms can be extended to other structures such as groups, rings, and modules. In fact, the concept of natural isomorphisms has been generalized to the notion of natural transformations in category theory, which has wide applications in various branches of mathematics and science.

5. How are natural isomorphisms used in practical applications?

Natural isomorphisms have practical applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. They are often used to simplify and generalize mathematical models, which can lead to more efficient algorithms and better predictions. For example, in physics, natural isomorphisms between dual spaces are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems and to derive fundamental laws such as conservation of energy and momentum.