1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Oscillation Frequencies

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Over the years, buildings have been able to be built out of lighter and lighter materials. how has this affected the natural oscillation frequencies of buildings and the problems of resonance due to passing trucks, airplanes, or by wind and other natural sources of vibration?

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't think I fully understand the question. Upon reading I have found natural frequency equations and the concept of resonance as it applies to damping but I don't see how the mass of the materials effect these. My initial thought was that the natural frequencies were higher, making it less likely for passing frequencies to get close to the natural frequencies.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Take a simple spring with an attached mass. How does the resonance frequency change if you make the mass lighter?
    Buildings are a bit like very complex structures made out of springs and masses.
    Why less?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted