Natural rope friction and snapping

In summary, there is some discussion going on in my circle of associates at the moment regarding rope break dynamics. Some ropes (usually the synthetic ones) will saw through the static bight of the rope, while others (usually the natural fibres) will break on the dynamic portion. Linen hemp, however acted like a syntheyic rather than a natural and sawed through the bight. So can anyone explain to me why: A) natural fibres break in the dynamic sectionB) linen hemp broke the bight like a syntheyic rope.
conaire
Ok, so there is a little discussion going on in my circle of associates at the moment regarding rope break dynamics:

http://esinem.com/news/rope-friction-break-tests

If you watch both videos, you can see that some ropes (usually the synthetic ones) will saw through the static bight of the rope, while others (usually the natural fibres) will break on the dynamic portion.

Linen hemp, however acted like a syntheyic rather than a natural and sawed through the bight.

So can anyone explain to me why:

A) natural fibres break in the dynamic section

B) linen hemp broke the bight like a syntheyic rope.

Thanks and praise will be lavished upon whomever is able to increase my understanding.

Engineering news on Phys.org
conaire said:
A) natural fibres break in the dynamic section
Bending failure.

Bystander said:
Bending failure.
Is there anywhere I could find the concept in laymans terms?

Compare the number of times you can bend a green twig before it breaks to the number for a dead twig. The moving bight is being bent repeatedly around the static bight, and a lot of natural fibers used for rope are brittle. What the actual failure mode of a bundle of natural fibers would be is a little difficult to determine from first principles, or from the videos: it could be pure tensile on the outside radius of the bundle as it goes around the bend; it could be longitudinal (axial) shearing of rough fiber surfaces against each other around the bend; transverse shear of fiber lays against each other around the bend; but, probably a mix of all of the above plus other effects. Natural fibers are generally not going to be as elastic as the artificial, so they can't handle the high tensile strain of repeated bending in the moving bight as well as the synthetics do.

Bystander said:
Compare the number of times you can bend a green twig before it breaks to the number for a dead twig. The moving bight is being bent repeatedly around the static bight, and a lot of natural fibers used for rope are brittle. What the actual failure mode of a bundle of natural fibers would be is a little difficult to determine from first principles, or from the videos: it could be pure tensile on the outside radius of the bundle as it goes around the bend; it could be longitudinal (axial) shearing of rough fiber surfaces against each other around the bend; transverse shear of fiber lays against each other around the bend; but, probably a mix of all of the above plus other effects. Natural fibers are generally not going to be as elastic as the artificial, so they can't handle the high tensile strain of repeated bending in the moving bight as well as the synthetics do.
Awesome! Thank you so much. :-D

This analysis is worth exactly what you paid for it --- it's where I'd start, but I wouldn't hang the future of the company on it.

1. What causes rope friction?

Rope friction occurs due to the roughness of the surface it is in contact with, as well as the tension and weight of the rope itself. The rougher the surface and the heavier the load, the greater the friction.

2. How does rope snapping occur?

Rope snapping, also known as rope failure, can occur due to various factors including overloading, wear and tear, knotting, and exposure to extreme temperatures or chemicals. It can also happen if the rope is not properly maintained or if it is made of low-quality materials.

3. Can natural ropes handle high levels of friction and snapping?

Natural ropes, such as those made from materials like hemp or cotton, are generally not as strong as synthetic ropes and may not be able to handle as much friction and snapping. However, their strength and durability can vary depending on the specific type and quality of the natural material used.

4. How can I reduce rope friction and snapping?

To reduce rope friction, you can use lubricants or coatings on the surface where the rope will come into contact. To prevent snapping, it's important to use the appropriate type and strength of rope for the task at hand and to regularly inspect and maintain the rope to ensure it is in good condition.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using ropes?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper safety protocols when using ropes to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes using the appropriate type and strength of rope, checking for any signs of wear and tear, and using protective equipment like gloves and harnesses when necessary.