Natural selection and parallel evolution

In summary, parallel evolution is the phenomenon where unrelated species develop similar characteristics or traits to adapt to the same environment. This occurs when the problem faced by the species has a limited number of solutions, increasing the probability of developing the same solution. The similarity in response is also influenced by the physical attributes of the species. However, there is also the possibility of other factors, such as genetic predisposition, playing a role in parallel evolution.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am just learning about the theory of Evolution and wonder how parallel evolution of unrelated species during the same period of time is explained.

Biology news on Phys.org
lavinia said:
I am just learning about the theory of Evolution and wonder how parallel evolution of unrelated species during the same period of time is explained.
Evolution produces adequate solutions to problems a species is faced with.
Some of these problems have lots of solutions, others have a smaller number of implementable solutions.
In the case of Parallel Evolution I would haphazard a guess that it happens when the problem facing the species has a small number of implementable solutions, so there is a greater probability it will implement the same solution.

Also the way the problem is tackled depends on the way the problem is presented. If two species are faced with the same environment they will tend to respond to this environment [i.e. solve the problem] in the same way, if the solution is fully in tune with their current physique.

That is a speculation of mine, as a mathematics and computer science student, i.e. a non-expert in the field of Biology.

See this: http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/evolution/parallel-evolution.htm

iKnighty said:
If two species are faced with the same environment they will tend to respond to this environment [i.e. solve the problem] in the same way, if the solution is fully in tune with their current physique.
That's considered as the most likely explanation. However, there is also the possibility that http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.64.120&rep=rep1&type=pdf" could be implicated somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is natural selection?

Natural selection is the process by which certain traits or characteristics become more or less common in a population over time. This occurs because individuals with advantageous traits are more likely to survive and pass on their genes to the next generation.

2. How does natural selection lead to evolution?

Natural selection is one of the main mechanisms of evolution. As certain traits become more or less common in a population, the overall genetic makeup of the population changes over time. This can lead to the formation of new species or the adaptation of existing species to their environment.

3. What is parallel evolution?

Parallel evolution occurs when two separate species develop similar traits or characteristics independently of each other. This can happen when species face similar environmental pressures or when they share a common ancestor with those traits already present.

4. How is parallel evolution different from convergent evolution?

Parallel evolution and convergent evolution are similar in that both result in the development of similar traits or characteristics in different species. However, parallel evolution occurs when species develop these traits independently, while convergent evolution occurs when species with different ancestral traits evolve similar traits due to similar environmental pressures.

5. Can natural selection and parallel evolution occur at the same time?

Yes, natural selection and parallel evolution can occur simultaneously. In fact, natural selection can be a driving force behind parallel evolution, as similar environmental pressures can lead to the development of similar traits in different species through independent evolutionary paths.