Nature of matter: state question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the phase changes of elements with similar atomic numbers and why they occur. The questioner is curious about the differences between nitrogen and carbon, and why there is no clear answer provided in the chemistry forum. They suggest that a quantum mechanical explanation may be the reason for these phase changes, but they are still seeking a clear understanding. The responder mentions that the differences in bonding play a role in the phase changes, but there is no simple answer to the question.
Ferrum
im curious as this question came up in a chemistry forum and it's more of a physics question I believe .

State changes between elements of near similar number , what constitutes the extreme phase changes ?

It was answered that there is no real answer for why the phase differences occurs at all. Well it was bluntly stated that it didn't have an answer . I'm curious how true this is ? Or if it is a phenomenon of lack of current understanding ?

Thank you anyone for taking time to answer this

Physics news on Phys.org
I sorry, but I don't understand the question. What do you mean by "elements of near similar number?". And what do you call an "extreme" phase change?

Maybe you could give an example of what you are contemplating.

Yes , I was vague . The gas element nitrogen is diatomic beside a solid state carbon on the periodic table, they are neighbors , but their phases are different , why ? Their atomic mass is similar but this phase change , at least in lighter elements seems to shift between solid and gas without any reason ? The chemistry forums stated , against my dismay, that there was not and didn't need an answer for this it "just was ", I find this disturbing .

I assumed a quantum mechanical explanation for the phase changes was most likely the reason , but I'm an undergrad and still learning . I have not found sound peer to peer literature that breaks down why this is that I can understand at my level. It's not a homework question it's a general interest .

Ferrum said:
Yes , I was vague . The gas element nitrogen is diatomic beside a solid state carbon on the periodic table, they are neighbors , but their phases are different , why ? Their atomic mass is similar but this phase change , at least in lighter elements seems to shift between solid and gas without any reason ? The chemistry forums stated , against my dismay, that there was not and didn't need an answer for this it "just was ", I find this disturbing .

I assumed a quantum mechanical explanation for the phase changes was most likely the reason , but I'm an undergrad and still learning . I have not found sound peer to peer literature that breaks down why this is that I can understand at my level. It's not a homework question it's a general interest .

But that's not the ONLY difference between. You look at Xe being an inert gas, and you add one more atomic number, and you get Cs, one of the most reactive substance around (pure Cs in liquid form will combust spontaneously in air!).

The problem here is that it isn't JUST the addition of one more atomic number. You need to look at the atomic energy levels and orbitals. There is a reason why He, Ne, Ar, Xr, etc. are inert, while H, Li, Na, K, etc.. can be highly reactive. Atoms with just 1 electron in the valence shell behaves differently than atoms with 2 electrons in the valence shell, or full number of electrons in the valence shell. This also plays a part in whether they form molecular bonds, or will tend to form a solid lattice.

BTW, the phase issue isn't that crucial, because I also also get solid N at a low enough temperature or high enough pressure. So under such conditions, both C and N are solids.

Zz.

I see it a little clearer now , thank you, I also was wondering about this at standard pressure and temp. I can visualize a lot of the change being product of orbital configuration and lattice structure as well , but I was wondering why this wasn't brought to light at the other forum . It seemed to be an energy level matter.

I understand the bonding a little . So while carbon and nitrogen are not complete as are not hydrogen and lithium . Helium , complete shell and it's a gas and add 1 to each partlical and you have a solid lithium, why? Energy? It's it pi or sigma bonding based ? At standard pressure and temps , why?

It seemed like a orbital energy level answer to me too , I'm wondering why the responder just dodged the answer i guess , there seems to be an answer for the phase differences . Queer to me

There is no simple answer to your question, but it does boil down to bonding. Atoms that don't bond to others (noble gases) or only bond in pairs (like H, N, and O), will be found in the gas phase. Elements where one atom can easily bond to more than one other atom of the same kind, like C, Li, Na, etc., will form a solid.

DrClaude said:
or only bond in pairs (like H, N, and O), will be found in the gas phase.
Unless they are heavy, like iodine.

Likes DrClaude
Ok thank you, these were assumptions I'd had , I appreciate the replies very much

1. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and occupies space. It can exist in three states: solid, liquid, or gas.

2. What is the structure of matter?

Matter is made up of small particles called atoms. These atoms are further composed of subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

3. What are the different states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. A solid has a fixed shape and volume, a liquid has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container, and a gas has neither a fixed shape nor volume.

4. What causes matter to change states?

Matter changes states due to changes in temperature and pressure. When temperature increases, the particles in matter gain energy and move faster, causing it to change states. Pressure can also affect the state of matter by compressing or expanding it.

5. Can matter be created or destroyed?

According to the Law of Conservation of Mass, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one state to another. This means that the total amount of matter in a closed system remains constant.