Is Light considered Matter? Questions on energy and states of matter.

In summary, according to the answer provided, light is considered matter by the modern physics definition. However, light cannot be considered mass, and would need to be macroscopic for it to be considered a phase of matter.
Julligan
So my initial question was whether or not light was considered matter. While googling this question, I came across this answer:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080717210504AAngJQO

In the top answer given, it is inferred that photons (light) are included in the definition of matter by the modern physics definition.

So if light is matter, in what state is it? I'm very new to physics, and from my understanding matter is characterized by certain qualities, and can be put in a category such as a gas, liquid, etc...

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Science news on Phys.org
There is no specific physics definition of matter. Its an ill defined term that is not technical. Check out the Wikipedia on it.

I would not consider light matter. The first line in the wiki says that mass and volume are characteristics of matter. Light has neither.

In physics we prefer the term 'mass', its is specifically defined.

So to consider something as a gas, liquid, or any other phase of matter, would said thing need to have mass?

I think so. And it would have to be macroscopic too. I would not consider a proton to be matter. Even a proton and an electron (H atom) is pushing it. A single proton or H atom cannot be in a gas, liquid or solid state. You need a collection of them to start distinguishing between phases. And once you get a collection of them you can start to talk of their volume as well.

Personally I view matter as any particle with rest mass. Some see it as just "normal everyday" particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. Still others see it only as particles bound inside atoms. This is a perfect example of an ill defined term. Luckily we have definitions for things such as hadrons, bosons, fermions, etc that are much more specific.

Thank you for your help! This has clarified things a lot! :)

1. Is light considered matter?

No, light is not considered matter. Matter is defined as anything that has mass and occupies space, while light does not have mass and does not occupy space.

2. What is light made of?

Light is made of particles called photons. These particles have no mass but carry energy and can behave as both particles and waves.

3. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and refraction. When light is absorbed, its energy is transferred to the matter, causing it to heat up. When light is reflected, it bounces off the surface of the matter. Refraction occurs when light passes through a substance, causing it to change direction.

4. What is the relationship between light and energy?

Light and energy are closely related. Light is a form of energy, and it travels in waves. The energy of light is determined by its wavelength, with shorter wavelengths carrying more energy than longer wavelengths.

5. Can light change states like matter?

No, light cannot change states like matter. Matter can exist in three states: solid, liquid, and gas. Light, on the other hand, does not have a physical form and therefore cannot change states. However, it can have different properties depending on its wavelength, such as visible light, infrared light, or ultraviolet light.