Should I hire a tutor for grade 12 physics after 20 years away?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
1irishman
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I"m struggling with physics at the Grade 12 level. I'm in my 30's and haven't looked at physics or trigonometry for at least 20 years! Has anyone ever used a tutor before and had success with this method of learning? I'm considering hiring a tutor, but I'm not sure how often I should meet with them etc? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem in what you ask is that a tutor cannot do your learning for you. If you have not touched Algebra and Trigonometry in 20 years, then you need to study these again for several weeks or more to build up your strength and skills. Once you do this, THEN maybe a tutor could help you with difficulties in Physics (or also in mathematical skills for physics).
 
I don't normally post commercial links, but these videos are very good:

http://www.mathtutordvd.com/

He is very methodical in his approach - good for someone who is struggling with the material.
 
1irishman said:
Hello,
I"m struggling with physics at the Grade 12 level. I'm in my 30's and haven't looked at physics or trigonometry for at least 20 years! Has anyone ever used a tutor before and had success with this method of learning? I'm considering hiring a tutor, but I'm not sure how often I should meet with them etc? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

May I ask why you are learning Physics at this point? Is it part of a larger educational plan, or just for fun (for example)?