1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Near and far points with contact lenses

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nearsighted person has near and far points of 11.0 and 22.0 cm , respectively. If she puts on contact lenses with power P = -4.00 D, what are her new near and far points?

2. Relevant equations

P=1/f

1/f=1/do+1/di where f=focal point, do=distance to object, di=distance to image

3. The attempt at a solution

The focal length of the lens is -0.25 m (and is a diverging lens, meaning the person is nearsighted). To find the new near point, the distance to the image should be at the naked-eye near point (0.11 m), so 1/-0.25=1/do+1/0.11 makes d0=-7.39 cm the new near point.

I was less sure how do approach the new far point, but I assumed that do=∞ (as it should be in a properly working naked eye) so that 1/-0.25=1/∞+1/di, which makes di=-0.25.

One or both of these answers is incorrect (they are graded together so I can't tell which one) but I have a feeling I'm way off on the far point. I think I'm on the right track with the near point but 7.39 cm seems really close, I think that's better than a normal naked eye. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2
    I figured this one out; don't worry about it.

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    I still can't figure it out!

Where is the near point of an eye for which a contact lens with a power of 2.30 diopters is prescribed? (Assume that near point for an average viewer is 25 cm.)
    s' =0.588 m
    Correct

Part B
    Where is the far point of an eye for which a contact lens with a power of -1.20 diopters is prescribed for distant vision?
    s' = m

I tried using the same equation I did for part A where Power = 1/f, so f = -0.8333333

However with 1/do + 1/di = 1/f I do not have a value of di and if I use 0.25 m I end up with new near point = -0.1923. I have no clue how to get the far point. However, I will continue working on it and maybe if someone else is stuck on this same problem this can help.

EDIT
    It occurred to me that di = infinity so 1/do = 1/f!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook