Need Help Finding Manual Solution to Sin(theta)

• Thread starter beluluk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for basic help in finding the answer to "sin(theta)" without the use of electronic devices. Possible methods mentioned include using tables of "sin" function values, computing using series expansion, and manually measuring a triangle. The use of a computer is also suggested, but the person ultimately finds the answer using the dot product.
beluluk
need a "basic" help

this may be a silly question... but, i really need this, because a basic is the stairway to the advanced of course.
i thought that this forum may provide more help than i could get in my college.
please tell me...
how do we find an answer of "sin(theta)" without an electronic device (such as calculator or computer). Can we do it manually, mathematically?
i thought that a calculator never needs a calculator's calculator to get the number. So i think there must be a way. thanks b4.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are tables of "sin" function values.Computed by hand using Taylor (MacLaurin)series expansion.If u don't find them,then u can compute them using the series expansion.I remember seing some logarithm tables for "sin" & "cos"...

Daniel.

ow... yeah... that reminds me of my lesson at the college. But i do hope there is a shorter way for that. anyway. Thanks a lot...

You won't do it manually mathematically. It is tedious (though possible) to obtain an answer to any degree of precision given enough time. Just as one could square any number by hand given enough time. But why would you?

beluluk said:
this may be a silly question... but, i really need this, because a basic is the stairway to the advanced of course.
i thought that this forum may provide more help than i could get in my college.
please tell me...
how do we find an answer of "sin(theta)" without an electronic device (such as calculator or computer). Can we do it manually, mathematically?
i thought that a calculator never needs a calculator's calculator to get the number. So i think there must be a way. thanks b4.

Well, if you want a computer to do it, you could write A batch file? Why would you need this to be done in the first place tough>? :uhh:

dextercioby said:
There are tables of "sin" function values.Computed by hand using Taylor (MacLaurin)series expansion.

When I was in high school, hand-held electronic calculators hadn't been invented yet, and desktop ones were very expensive. I didn't use an electronic desktop calculator until I started college. So for calculations I had a book of trig and log tables. The sine table probably had entries for at least every 0.1 degree, or perhaps every 5 minutes of arc (1/12 degree). I remember doing linear interpolation between entries, by hand, to eke out an extra significant figure.

Just draw a triangle,then you measure it!
It may not be very accurate,but it is a way!

eNathan said:
Well, if you want a computer to do it, you could write A batch file? Why would you need this to be done in the first place tough>? :uhh:

i need to think about it since i was looking for an operation of 3D angles. when i got a vector which is stated in spheric coordinates, suppose i the vector components are r1, phi1 and theta1. how can i find the angle between the vector and the x axis... but i think i know the answer now. I can use the dot product to find it.thanks for asking.

1. What is a "manual solution" in the context of Sin(theta)?

A manual solution refers to a written or printed set of instructions or steps that can be followed to solve a problem involving the trigonometric function Sin(theta). It does not involve the use of calculators or other electronic devices.

2. Why would someone need help finding a manual solution to Sin(theta)?

There could be a variety of reasons why someone may need help finding a manual solution to Sin(theta). It could be due to a lack of understanding of trigonometric principles, difficulty in solving the problem, or the need for a step-by-step guide to ensure accuracy.

3. How can I find a manual solution to Sin(theta) if I am stuck?

If you are struggling to find a manual solution to Sin(theta), there are several resources available to help you. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek the assistance of a math tutor. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and try to solve them individually.

4. Is it necessary to use a manual solution for Sin(theta), or can I use a calculator?

Both manual solutions and calculators can be used to solve problems involving Sin(theta). However, using a manual solution can help improve your understanding of trigonometric principles and build problem-solving skills. It may also be necessary in situations where a calculator is not available.

5. Are there any tips for finding a manual solution to Sin(theta)?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you find a manual solution to Sin(theta). First, make sure you have a good understanding of trigonometric principles and the properties of Sin(theta). It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or visualize the problem. Breaking the problem down into smaller parts and using trigonometric identities can also make the solution process easier.