Finding Solutions for $(1+sin^42\theta) = 17(1+sin2\theta)^4$ in $[0,2\pi ]$

• MHB
  • Thread starter DaalChawal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation $(1+sin^42\theta) = 17(1+sin2\theta)^4$ in the interval $[0,2\pi ]$. The speaker solved the equation by assuming $sin2\theta$ as $x$ and drawing a graph to find a solution for $x$ in the range $(-1,0)$. However, the graph of $sin2\theta$ had multiple values in the range $(0,-1)$, and the speaker asks for confirmation if this method is correct.
DaalChawal
Number of solutions of $(1+sin^42\theta) = 17(1+sin2\theta)^4$ in $[0,2\pi ]$

I solved this by assuming $sin2\theta$ as $x$ and then I draw graph and found there was a solution for $x$ belonging to $(-1,0)$ then I drew graph of $sin2\theta$ and check for what values of $\theta$ it is lying in $(0,-1)$. But I got multiple values... Is this correct?? Help

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
DaalChawal said:
Number of solutions of $(1+sin^42\theta) = 17(1+sin2\theta)^4$ in $[0,2\pi ]$

I solved this by assuming $sin2\theta$ as $x$ and then I draw graph and found there was a solution for $x$ belonging to $(-1,0)$ then I drew graph of $sin2\theta$ and check for what values of $\theta$ it is lying in $(0,-1)$. But I got multiple values... Is this correct?? Help
$sin2\theta=x$
$(x + 2) (2 x + 1) (4 x^2 + 7 x + 4) = 0$

1. What is the given equation?

The given equation is $(1+sin^42\theta) = 17(1+sin2\theta)^4$ in the interval $[0,2\pi]$.

2. How many solutions does the equation have?

The equation has an infinite number of solutions as it is a trigonometric equation with multiple periodic solutions.

3. How can I solve the equation?

The equation can be solved by using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation and find the values of $\theta$ that satisfy it.

4. Are there any special values of $\theta$ that satisfy the equation?

Yes, there are special values of $\theta$ that satisfy the equation, such as $\theta = 0, \pi, \frac{\pi}{2}, \frac{3\pi}{2}$ and any other values that result in $sin^42\theta = 1$ and $sin2\theta = 0$.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the solutions?

Yes, a calculator can be used to find approximate solutions to the equation, but it is important to keep in mind that the equation has an infinite number of solutions and the calculator may only provide a few decimal approximations.