Need an engineer's perspective on a college essay

In summary: OhioIn summary, a new member of the forum is seeking help with an essay for the University of Virginia supplement. The prompt asks for ideas for a small engineering project if given funding. The member is an electrical and electronics engineer and suggests creating a product with multiple applications, such as a 3 phase relay or soft starters for motors. The member clarifies that they are a high school senior applying to the undergraduate engineering department at UVa and already has an essay written, but needs someone to check for accuracy. Another member, a senior studying Chemical Engineering at an Ohio engineering school, offers to help.
eddiemaini
Hello! I am new to the forums! (Love the F=MA and P=MV questions that they ask you when registering!)

I need some feedback on an essay that I am writing for the UVa supplement. Would someone be willing to help?

The prompt is- If you were given funding for a small engineering project, what would you do?

Post here and I will email or PM it to you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am electrical and electronics engineer, and i would suggest a project used in the industry in such case there will be a lot of applications where your product will be used in.
Maybe you can start with small products like 3 phase relay, single phase relay up to more complex like soft starters for motors.

I am sorry if I was vague in my original post. I am a senior in high school and applying to the undergraduate engineering department at University of Virginia.

I already have an idea and an essay written. I just need someone to check to see if what I have is fundamentally correct.

Sorry I can't post my essay here but I can PM or email it to anyone who is willing to help.

I'll take a look. I'm a ChemE Senior at an engineering school

Hi there!

I may not be able to provide an engineer's perspective on your college essay, but I can offer some general advice. When writing about a potential engineering project, it's important to think about the real-world applications and impact of your idea. Consider the resources and materials needed, the feasibility of your project, and any potential challenges or limitations. Additionally, be sure to clearly articulate the purpose and goals of your project and how it aligns with your interests and skills. Good luck with your essay!

1. What is the importance of an engineer's perspective in a college essay?

An engineer's perspective is crucial in a college essay because it adds a unique and valuable viewpoint to the topic. Engineers have a specific way of thinking and problem-solving that can provide a fresh and analytical perspective on any subject. This can make your essay stand out and showcase your ability to consider different viewpoints.

2. How can an engineer's perspective enhance my college essay?

An engineer's perspective can enhance your college essay by bringing a technical and logical approach to your writing. This can help to strengthen your arguments and make them more convincing. Additionally, an engineer's perspective can provide a different angle on a topic that may be unfamiliar to the reader, making your essay more interesting and engaging.

3. Can an engineer's perspective be applied to any college essay topic?

Yes, an engineer's perspective can be applied to any college essay topic. Engineers are trained to think critically and problem-solve, which can be applied to a wide range of subjects. Whether you are writing about a scientific topic or a social issue, an engineer's perspective can add a unique and valuable perspective.

4. What should I consider when incorporating an engineer's perspective into my college essay?

When incorporating an engineer's perspective into your college essay, it is important to ensure that it enhances your overall argument and adds value to your writing. Consider how the engineer's perspective can strengthen your points and how it relates to the topic at hand. It is also important to avoid using technical jargon or overwhelming the reader with too many technical details.

5. Can I consult with an engineer to get their perspective on my college essay?

Yes, it is highly recommended to consult with an engineer to get their perspective on your college essay. They can provide valuable feedback and offer insights that can improve your writing. Additionally, speaking with an engineer can also help you to better understand the topic and incorporate their perspective more effectively into your essay.