Need an in-depth book on pig anatomy and physiology

In summary, the conversation is about a person's plan to dissect a fetal pig they are ordering from a biological supply company in North Carolina. They are also looking for several books, including one about pig biology and an atlas of the pig, as well as a guide on microscope usage and selection. They mention the power of regular microscopes and their plans for tissue staining. They provide specific ISBN numbers and suggest using bookfinder.com to find the books at a cheaper price.
Chris Riccard
By Summer I hope to dissect a fetal pig I'm ordering from the north Carolina biological supply company, I'm looking for a few books, one in depth on pig biology and a Atlas of the pig including the brain. Another book I'm looking for is a microscope usage and selection guide including oil imersion microscopes, I know regular microscopes go up to 5000 power but the ones I'm looking at for rent by the new York microscope company only go up to 1000 . I don't know yet if this will matter yet as I plan on doing some tissue staining. Tia

Physics news on Phys.org
Google 'pig biology and atlas of the pig'

A Dissection Guide and Atlas to the Fetal Pig. 3rd Edition. By David G. Smith & Michael P. Schenk.
ISBN-13: 978-0895828798 ISBN-10: 0895828790 is 3rd edition. Expensive.
ISBN 9780895826268 is earlier 2nd edition, 2003, New from Amazon.ca for about $20.00

Find new and 2nd hand with bookfinder.com, then buy through the PF link to Amazon.

From the same search... see also;
Biology of the Domestic Pig.
Edited by Wilson G. Pond, Harry J. Mersmann. Comstock Publishing Associates.
New from Amazon.com for about $6.00+shipping. Use bookfinder.com to find it.

Last edited:

1. What topics are typically covered in a book on pig anatomy and physiology?

A book on pig anatomy and physiology will typically cover topics such as the structure and function of the pig's skeletal, muscular, digestive, respiratory, circulatory, and reproductive systems. It may also include information on the pig's nervous system, sensory organs, and endocrine system.

2. Who would benefit from reading a book on pig anatomy and physiology?

A book on pig anatomy and physiology would be beneficial for anyone working with pigs, such as farmers, veterinarians, or researchers. It could also be useful for students studying animal science or biology.

3. How in-depth is the information typically provided in a book on pig anatomy and physiology?

A book on pig anatomy and physiology will typically provide detailed information on the anatomy and physiology of pigs, including descriptions of various organs and body systems, as well as their functions and interactions. It may also include information on common health issues and potential treatments.

4. Are there any visual aids included in a book on pig anatomy and physiology?

Many books on pig anatomy and physiology will include illustrations, diagrams, and photographs to help readers better understand the anatomy and physiology of pigs. These visual aids can be especially helpful for those who are more visual learners.

5. How can I use the information from a book on pig anatomy and physiology in my work or studies?

The information provided in a book on pig anatomy and physiology can be used in various ways depending on your field of work or study. For example, farmers may use this knowledge to better understand the health and wellbeing of their pigs, while researchers may use it to design experiments or studies. Students can use the information to deepen their understanding of animal anatomy and physiology and apply it to real-life situations.